Using a handpull beer tap/pump with a corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionara

Reaction score
Is it possible to set up a handpull beer tap/pump with a corny keg and co2 system? Mostly for looks and novelty!

Apply less than 0.5psi to the corny (e.g. using an LP propane regulator or low range CO2 regulator) as a "cask breather". Attach beer engine to the outlet.

Keep the corny at 55F or so or the beer will be overcarbonated.

I have a beer engine and use corny kegs for it. For the most part, my strategy is that I tend to use it mainly for parties, when I know we are going to drink something up.

You can successfully use some sort of propane regulator to apply low amount of CO2 all the time to keep the beer fresh and make a keg last.

Often, if I have a gallon or two of something (like a porter for instance) left, I just release the pressure, hook it to the beer engine, leave the pressure release valve open.... and invite 5-6 people over and kill the keg with the beer engine.

Or, I have several 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs where I will brew beer specifically for the beer engine when I am having an "event" at my house and I know we will kill a small keg..... again, vent keg, leave pressure release open and not worry about O2 getting in, because it will be shot lived.

I find maintaining/cleaning the beer engine trying to keep a beer on tap at all times is just a big PITA. So, like I said - I use it for parties and special occasions where I know a lot of people can enjoy it and sample beer in a different way. It is easy just to hook up a ball lock fitting to your beer engine line.

Do you use a one way valve on the beer line to keep co2 pressure from pushing beer out of the engine? I have one for mine, when I was cleaning the lines I had 25psi that it held back. I should have put low pressure on it also. My engine has only seen star-san. I have yet to put beer on it.

Back