Using a bag for hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjp89

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with using a paint strainer bag for hop additions during the boil? Any pros and cons? Anyone notice any difference in there hop utilization?

I have used a hop bag (maybe 6 inches by 9) on almost every batch I have ever made, except a Pliny the Elder clone where I used the BIAB bag because there's so darn much hops.

No downside as far as I can tell, and it makes for much easier cleanup.

Just curious didn't know if they would hold up in the boil or cause off flavor or anything

Nope, they're great! I find the hop bags are really easy to use . I put the hops in, cinch the drawstring, then loop the drawstring around my mash paddle and lay it across the kettle. Keeps the bag suspended an it works great.

Take a look at DIY hop spiders too. If you haven't seen those, they're a pretty ingenious way to use a paint strainer/BIAB bag. Cheers!

What about a flame out addition do I just need to let it steep for a certain amount of time

I always just leave the bag in while the immersion chiller does its thing. Seems to be long enough.

I use paint strainer bags for the hops in all my beers. They work great! I use binder clips to clip them to the side of my BK. I have found that I can only get about 4 oz in a 5 gallon bag. Sometimes I end up using two.

I re-use them as long as I can. During clean up, after I have dumped the hops out, I simply rinse as much as I can from the bag. Then hang dry, any remaining hops dry and can be removed prior to re-use.

Latest posts

Back