Using a 6 bottle kit with Demijohn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellafella

Reaction score
Hi there

New to the whole process and just started my second youngs 7 day kit for white wine.

the first kit was a full starter kit and came with 2 buckets and made some reasonable (if not a little chemical tasting) white wine in 7 days and we drank 5 of the bottles within 4 weeks of finishing.

I have now bought a demijohn and airlock for the second kit and have put all in as per instructions and it has been fermenting very well overnight.

My question is the instructions said to top up to 4.8L but the demijohn will only take 4.5L. I have topped the jar up to about 2 inches below the top, will this affect the finished product and when I bottle can I top up any missing liquid in the 6 bottles with water or should I just make 5 bottles full and accept I might have a 3/4 full last bottle which I can use for cooking?

I think I may have caught the home brew bug because I am already want to try turbo cider as well but don't want to run before I can walk and know the basics.

Thanks in advance

Rich

4.5l = 6 full bottles. I'd guess that the last .3l are for waste.

You can always use a similar type of wine to fill the last bottle if it comes up short.

Ah thanks for this, about the slight taste of chemicals, do you know what this might be caused by? And would it tend to go if left for longer even though it said it was a 7 day kit?

I would expect that the 7 days written on the kit is a "drinkable in 7 days". Ageing the wine for longer should clear up and roughness nicely.

I would expect that the 7 days written on the kit is a "drinkable in 7 days". Ageing the wine for longer should clear up and roughness nicely.

Looking at the packet I believe are right, as I have posted on my cider thread I will try and be a little more patient, I suppose its all about the longer gain that the ready to drink in minutes!!

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back