Using 2 Mash Tuns for a Partigyle batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkins98

Reaction score
So my current setup is a 10 gallon Mash tun and 2 keggles for HLT and boil kettle. My brewing partners and I would like to make a monster stout soon and partigyle the batch. However with the Mash tun i'm only able to mash about 25 pounds of grain. So a little back story is that one of the brew partners just bought a bunch of equipment from someone that included another cooler. So my thoughts to acheive the partigyle and still make a decent second beer was to mash probably somewhere in the 30 - 35 # range of grain but to split into the 2 mash tuns.

the process would go something like heat all my strike water, crush all the grains and then mash in with both coolers (roughly 1/2 in each). 60 minutes later pull the first runnings from each into my old 6 gallon kettle and then proceed to sparge all remaining wort into keggle and boil away. Ideally the plan is to end up with a 5 gallon batch of stout and 10 gallons of a dark something. does this sound feasable...

Definitely feasible. I love partigyle brewing. One of my best beers came from the second runnings of an IPA mash. You can also add some more specialty malts to the mash if you want to. I recommend stirring it up quite a bit for second runnings and let it sit for about 15-25 minutes. For a GREAT worksheet for partigyle calculations check out Braukaiser's spreadsheet, it is amazing:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Batch_Sparge_and_Party_Gyle_Simulator

Back