Using 2 different yeasts for different ferment stages?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoutNoDoubt

Reaction score
Ok, so here goes my question. I am looking in my Clone Brews book and I'm thinking about brewing the Piraat clone recipe from it. It mentions that after pitching the first yeast and letting the beer ferment for 7 days or till it slows to then rack the beer to secondary and 3 days prior to bottling I am to pitch another batch of yeast. I always thought that this could cause a bottle bomb potential issue even though it does not say to add sugar other than bottling sugar the day of bottling. What is the point of pitching a second yeast if its possible the first yeast consumed all the sugar? I'm a little lost here...... Grocery day is tomorrow so I'm hoping to get an answer tonight before I buy the grain bill, hops, and yeasts. Thanks! :drunk:

I always thought that this could cause a bottle bomb potential issue even though it does not say to add sugar other than bottling sugar the day of bottling.

Not true. Yeast can only eat the fermentable sugars. If the brew was done fermenting, you could add a boatload of yeast and still not get bottle bombs.

The reason it is recommended to add some yeast before bottling is because the yeast in a high gravity brew that has been sitting for a long time may be very stressed. The addition of fresh yeast will just speed up the carb process.

I brew a lot of Belgians and have only added yeast at bottling once. It was for a 12% brew that had been sitting for 6 months. Otherwise therre is usually enough yeast to carb up the brew.

I suppose if you primary with a low-attenuating English strain, then add a super-munching Belgian strain (or Brett or something) you could have an issue.

If you need to add yeast for bottling, best practice is to use the same strain. But as beergolf mentioned, that's rarely necessary.

Yeah I think it may be the whole need enough yeast to carb the bottle ordeal. Thanks for all the input :)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back