Using 1/6 keg for homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbnbrew

Reaction score
I know this has been asked I just can't find it and just set my kegerator up and want to know if I go get a 1/6 from the store can I use that for kegging my beer. I have the attachments already for a standard keg. I ordered some corny kegs and have two but have room for 3 taps.

What do you mean by the attachments for a "standard" keg? Do you have ball lock or pin lock attachments? Or maybe sanke couplers?

If you have ball or pin stuff, just buy another keg from your LHBS. If you've got sanke, you may need to by craft beer from a brewery or 1 with a sanke attachment from your LHBS.

I've got both attachments and one corny keg now one was no good. My real concern is can I get the 1/6 apart easy enough to use it for my own beer it seems like the 30 dollar deposit and a good craft beer for 80 would be a good deal if I can reuse the keg

Sorry I don't mean I'm keeping the keg from the local store just can I set my fridge up and use both the bought craft beer and use a used 1/6 if I find them they seem to be cheaper for my own beer

I like kegging my home brew in standard beer kegs, but they are a bit of a PITA to clean.

I don't disassemble the valve unless it actually needs servicing.
I use a diaphragm pump to circulate cleaning and sanitizing solutions through a customized tap (1/2" in and out, check valve removed).
The final rinse (boiled water) is pushed out w/ CO2.

Back