Uses for leftover/unused wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solavirtus

Reaction score
I'm curious about how other homebrewers use their leftover or unused wort? Krausening? With cooking? If so, how and what recipe, did it work well, etc.?

Here's how the question comes up. I was brewing an oatmeal stout last weekend, and had let my MLT continue to drain once I hit my desired volume, and over the course of an hour or so, I ended with about 2 quarts of sweet, dark stout wort to do something with. In the spirit of "waste not, want not", I decided to make a marinade/glaze with it for some chicken on the grill. It turned out good!

Anyone else have suggestions or stories?

:mug:

I like to use the sweet wort in cooking. If I want some, I take it pre boil before adding any bitterness (hops). Works great is sauces, breads and home made ice cream! You can reduce it down without turning it into a nasty bitter novelty.

If using it post boil with the hop additions, I like to use it to finish a dish with it right before serving. As in a Cheddar Ale soup. Just make a cheddar soup and add the ale off flame right before you serve it.

I do the same thing SpanishCastleAle does.

However, I have been running a surplus. Eventually I will use it in a batch of beer.

Collect ~4 cups and boil to reduce to 2 cups. Use as the liquid and sugar for bread making. Add 1/4-1/3 cup used grains as well and you have some stellar bread.

I have just poured it on the lawn cause for some reason I think it has nutrients for the grass, but I really have no idea

Latest posts

Back