useing to kinds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack181

Reaction score
i made a rye beer 2 mths ago and i used 2 kinds of dry yeast one was a Safale S-04 about a mth past exp date and the 2nd was Safbrew S-33 about 8 mth past exp date.. i ferment temp was about 64 f .. the beer caMe out great. my question is do you think one yeast took over the other in the ferment stage?

Good god... That hurt my head to read.

Does it matter if the beer came out good?

No.

im not asking if it hurt your head to read.. thats all the yeast i had on hand at the time and both were past expiration date .. all the rest of my rye are done with 05 yeast.. im wondering if one yeast took over the other yeast

The S-04 probably contributed more as it was fresher and could have built more cells quicker. But other than looking at a sample w/ a microscope, theres no way to tell.

Thanks for the input Maddcow . I was thinking the same but was not sure

All other factors equal I agree that it would be S04's battle to win.

I often run a batch pitched with S04 in parallel with another batch running on US-05 and the S04 is rockin' the carboy way before the US-05 gets up to speed. And if you don't keep a tight thermal leash on S04 it'll run amuck way worse than US-05...

Cheers!

Back