Used Whiskey Barrel for Sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawbadger

Reaction score
I've recently been given the okay by SWMBO to get a barrel for sours. I've found a 10 gallon whiskey barrel and after emailing with the distillers, it's definitely a fresh one emptied earlier this week.

With this being a whiskey barrel opposed to wine, i'm guessing i'd have to do a few clean batches (porter, stout, wee heavy, barley wine, etc) to knock out the whiskey flavor before inoculating the barrel with bugs.

And as this is a 10 gallon as opposed to 5 gallon, i'm a little less worried about oxidation and aceto especially if I wax 50-75% of the staves.

I was just wondering folks thoughts on my line of reasoning and if anyone else has found success with whiskey barrels for sours.

Thanks!

I'm using a 10 gallon whiskey barrel that I purchased from Farmhouse. It was fairly fresh at the time of filling it. I'm using it as a solera and have been doing so since receiving it. I've pulled 5 gallons off since purchase and racked onto cranberries. It was delicious!

Was the whiskey present? Yes, but not overpowering. Considering I added fruit, that may have contributed to the subtlety of the whiskey. But I enjoyed that. Early bottles of Boxer's Revenge (Jester King) had a nice bourbon/whiskey flavor that went really well with the sour. So, it depends on what you prefer. I really enjoy the flavor profile of tart and whiskey barrel.

I'm using a 10 gallon whiskey barrel that I purchased from Farmhouse. It was fairly fresh at the time of filling it. I'm using it as a solera and have been doing so since receiving it. I've pulled 5 gallons off since purchase and racked onto cranberries. It was delicious!

Was the whiskey present? Yes, but not overpowering. Considering I added fruit, that may have contributed to the subtlety of the whiskey. But I enjoyed that. Early bottles of Boxer's Revenge (Jester King) had a nice bourbon/whiskey flavor that went really well with the sour. So, it depends on what you prefer. I really enjoy the flavor profile of tart and whiskey barrel.

How many batches of clean beer did you run through the barrel before putting a sour in?
I have a ten gallon rye whiskey barrel that was stored with 1.5 gal boiling water for 1 month, and now we're running a Wee Heavy (~4-5 days), and brown ale (~week or so?) through the barrel. I'm a bit worried that I'll need to put another beer or two in there before putting my 4 month old oud bruin in.

How many batches of clean beer did you run through the barrel before putting a sour in?
I have a ten gallon rye whiskey barrel that was stored with 1.5 gal boiling water for 1 month, and now we're running a Wee Heavy (~4-5 days), and brown ale (~week or so?) through the barrel. I'm a bit worried that I'll need to put another beer or two in there before putting my 4 month old oud bruin in.

I did not put any clean beer in. I started it fresh with 7 gallons of already soured beer and 3 gallons of fresh wort to grow the bugs.

Try to find a commercial example of a whiskey barrel sour. They're tasty.

Try to find a commercial example of a whiskey barrel sour. They're tasty.

I have, but none of them were overpoweringly bourbon-y. 10gal barrel= a lot of surface area= a ton of bourbon flavor. The remnants of the 1.5 gal of boiling water I placed in the barrel for a month is probably ~60 proof.

Perfect opportunity for oaking a RIS and then a Barleywine. Then switch to sours as most of the whiskey and oak flavoring would be gone.

Full disclosure - I've never oaked anything with a barrel before (no access to one so I use cubes), but I am getting thirsty just thinking about barrel aged malty, high ABV beers.

Latest posts

Back