Used Pancake Syrup instead of Maple Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomsOsmos

Reaction score
N00b'd hard and didn't read the instructions of my Brown Ale recipe until mid-boil. Called for 11 oz of maple syrup with a minute left in the boil. Didn't have any and the CVS I ran to only had Aunt Jemima's Pancake Syrup. Used it instead haha.

What effect do you guys think it'll have?

Is this 11 oz. for a 5 gallon batch? I know many of the "pancake" syrups have potassium sorbate and sorbic acid in them as preservatives. I would say both are not preferred in fermentation. In fact, winemakers will some times add potassium sorbate prior to bottling to stop fermentation in order to prevent carbonated wine.

In your case though, I don't think the amount of potassium sorbate contained within the 11 oz. of syrup and diluted in 5+ gallons of wort will have a grave effect. I could be wrong but I just don't think any off flavors will be detected. The corn sugars and syrups will ferment out.

You are correct, 5 gallon batch. Definitely some sorbic acid in there, we'll see what happens.

I doubt the sorbic acid will hurt you. There are too many fermentables to kill all the yeast. But it might increase the lag time.

But pancake syrup is mostly high fructose corn syrup with artificial flavor. So, I think you'll get more fermentables and less flavor/character from the addition.

I did the same thing with a chocolate maple porter. Needed maple syrup, only had fake syrup . Porter prob would have tasted better with the real stuff, but, it didn't hurt anything.

You could always bottle with real syrup.

I'd imagine the boil (even the 1 minute of it) will break down some of the preservatives, so they shouldn't have a huge impact. Given all the extra sugar, your brown will probably finish dryer than you expected, but should be ok otherwise. Maybe serve with Bisquick pancakes and call it an instant breakfast brown.

I doubt the sorbic acid will hurt you. There are too many fermentables to kill all the yeast. But it might increase the lag time.

But pancake syrup is mostly high fructose corn syrup with artificial flavor. So, I think you'll get more fermentables and less flavor/character from the addition.

Agree, I have seen some recipes call for real and some call for fake! there might be a time issue, one might go better in boil, secondary or bottling as a priming sugar. let us know how she turns out!

Back