Used kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shepbrew

Reaction score
What are the thoughts on used kegs? Are they worth it? Bought two new ones to start but want 2-4 more and used sure would make for getting the four faster. I'm fine with cleaning, but what about the parts, how often do these need replacing from the start and if they do need replacing does this negate all of the cost savings?

If you buy from a vendor they should have been checked over. My guess is that more than 75% of kegs use in homebrewing settings are used. All 4 of mine were used, two from a vendor, 2 local but they were pressurized when I went to buy them from a guy that had a warehouse full. All of them have the original parts. I do have a couple of o-ring kits available, but have not needed them

When I bought mine they were going for $40 - $45, and new ones were about $150. The price difference is much closer now. In my area the going rate for used ball lock kegs is now $60 and they are rare to find up for sale.

I'm looking at a price of $50 used vs $120 new so pretty significant. O rings seem easy enough, more concerned with posts and poppets. They are from a good vendor though so as you say they should be checked over.

Second KegConnection. Have purchased 3 of my 4 from them. All came cleaned and ready to go. The one odd ball I bought off amazon. Wont do that again, it had leaves inside of it! lol

Latest posts

Back