Used keg not sealing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NGD

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Just bought a used keg from Homebrewsupply and it’s beat to hell. I’m not sure what constitutes a decent used keg, but this probably isnt it.

It came pressurized along some funky fluid in it but now I can’t get the lid to seal. Looking for suggestions on how to get it sealed. Seems like the lid can’t generate enough force to seal the top.
O-rings are new.

Homebrewsupply is owned by Keg Connection. They use a cleaner that smells like old 7up. Try using the new lid o-ring that came with it. If that doesn't fix the issue, I'd contact the company. Any issue I've had from their products they've made right.

Did you use some keg lube on your O-rings? That can help sometimes.

I have had to "dance" the lids around a bit to get it just right too. I have 2 that have very finicky lids that have a sweet spot to seal.

+1 for Keg Lube.
Lots of new kegs even need to find the "sweet spot" to get a good seal. Many also need keg lube. And many also need a little pressure in them to maintain a seal. Maybe only a few PSI, but some pressure.

Homebrewsupply is owned by Keg Connection. They use a cleaner that smells like old 7up. Try using the new lid o-ring that came with it. If that doesn't fix the issue, I'd contact the company. Any issue I've had from their products they've made right.

Thank you for the heads up. I’ll swap O-rings and give it a shot. The lid just doesnt sit very tight

Did you use some keg lube on your O-rings? That can help sometimes.

I have had to "dance" the lids around a bit to get it just right too. I have 2 that have very finicky lids that have a sweet spot to seal.
I’ll def add keg lube, but right now its filled oxyclean and just tilting the keg a few degrees is enough for the fluid to start pouring out.

Will try your suggestions. TY

Check to make sure the the lid feet aren't bending out. Those legs and feet put pressure on the lid helping it to seal. If you're still having a problem check out William's oversize keg lid o-rings. Those are a little larger and designed to help finicky lids get a good seal. If it came pressurized that's a good sign that it's solid and may just need some tweaking.

Check to make sure the the lid feet aren't bending out. Those legs and feet put pressure on the lid helping it to seal. If you're still having a problem check out William's oversize keg lid o-rings. Those are a little larger and designed to help finicky lids get a good seal. If it came pressurized that's a good sign that it's solid and may just need some tweaking.

Oh snap I might have to grab a few of those.

Never knew these existed good to know :mug:

Some lids are a little bent, so they will only seal in one direction. If this happens to you, mark the keg and lid with a permanent marker so you can tell which way worked.

My 'feet' usually don't apply enough pressure either so I usually connect the CO2 line (but leave it unpressurized), pick the filled keg up by that instead of clamping it down, jiggle it back and forth a couple times, then open the CO2 and pressurize to 30 PSI. Once it is seated, I can turn the pressure down to where I want it and spray with StarSan to check for bubbles.

Have you tried pulling the lid while pumping the CO2? I have one old used pin lock which can't seal for its life unless the CO2 pressure pushes the lid up. Once seal is done, it stays sealed and carbonates as usual.

But yeah after it I've learned not to buy neither used nor pin lock.

Still love new Old Ale Ball Lock kegs over Sankeys, though.

I have some finicky kegs. Some lids only fit in one orientation, or there is a lot of wiggle room where you can twist the lid. You'll learn the ins-and-outs quickly enough. The thicker O-rings help a lot - my LHBS has some larger ones, and I picked up a half dozen, and those help a lot. When initially kegging, I hit my kegs with 50psi initially, to make a good seal. Good luck.

Those O-rings are killer. Compared to my other keg which I got new..probably the last time I buy used. Definitely some good pointers here. I’ll hit it with a few PSI tonight after applying new rings and lube. See how it sits for a day

Those O-rings are killer. Compared to my other keg which I got new..probably the last time I buy used. Definitely some good pointers here. I’ll hit it with a few PSI tonight after applying new rings and lube. See how it sits for a day

And? Any luck? Inquiring minds want to know, and all that.

And? Any luck? Inquiring minds want to know, and all that.

Would have updated sooner but have family in town. Swapped o-rings and hit it with keg lube. Also noticed the diptube was positioned on the “In” side of the keg. Water still leaks out like a sieve. The legs don’t appear to be applying enough pressure.

Went to give it a shot of 40psi when I noticed my CO2 tank has been left open. Since I haven’t used it in months b/c I’ve been bottling small batches; I had hardly any pressure left. Definitely not enough to seat the lid. Those oversized rings might work or a new lid, but at this point I’m thinking no more used kegs.

Side question, I’m not familiar with this 12pt star pattern. Is this more common with commercial kegs? Found out the gas “in” tube must’ve been sawed off. Its sharp AF.

View attachment 638318

Last edited:
Not allowed to view the pic.

The 12 pt 7/8" style gas post was exclusive to Cornelius kegs, their Spartan and Super Champion lines, iirc.
I don't think any of the currently manufactured kegs use anything other than hex posts.

Try putting coins under the feet of the lid latch (try dimes first). If it holds pressure you can try "reforming" the legs to have them apply greater pressure...

Cheers!

As a fairly new kegger myself, a thanks to all for these fantastic tips. I've been lucky to have easy-sealing used kegs so far, bit I'm sure I'll need your hard-earned wisdom in the future!

Not sure whats up with the photos. May have something to do with the latet iOS update.

Just to update. Got the CO2 filled this morn. Had to gorilla pull it to get it to seal, but sanitizer revealed a small leak around the main O-ring. I’m calling homebrewsupply to see what we can do

Edit: I also tried the coins under the feet thing. Theres a ton of glue from where the handles were re-attached at some point. Its pretty difficult to get the coins to stay anywhere on there. A quarter with a dime on top still isnt enough to raise the lid to where the o-ring fits

Last edited:
And the lid is on the right way? They are not perfectly oval. They fit to seal one way only, if it's a corny.

This is how to use gas to properly seat the lid. Lifting by the lid is obviously something you will not do when it is full of brew.

Not sure whats up with the photos. May have something to do with the latet iOS update.

Just to update. Got the CO2 filled this morn. Had to gorilla pull it to get it to seal, but sanitizer revealed a small leak around the main O-ring. I’m calling homebrewsupply to see what we can do

Edit: I also tried the coins under the feet thing. Theres a ton of glue from where the handles were re-attached at some point. Its pretty difficult to get the coins to stay anywhere on there. A quarter with a dime on top still isnt enough to raise the lid to where the o-ring fits

You are putting a lot of work into a newly bought used keg that is supposed to hold pressure. I would strongly suggest contacting @HomebrewSupply.

^^^^ what he said, or a new lid. i had a pin lock keg that never would seal, but buying a new lid solved the problem.

Reading through this thread and something doesn’t sound right...
You said it was shipped pressurized and contained a small amount of liquid? It is capable of sealing. A quarter and dime under the feet and it still isn’t tight enough sounds strange too. The legs aren’t really what makes the lid seal. I’ve used the over-sized o-rings from Williams brewing mentioned above and they are a very tight fit but work well. It’s too bad your pics aren’t loading, a visual might help us diagnose the problem. Is the oval opening of the kegs flat and true (no dents or gouges)?

@camonick It did come pressurized. At this point, with alot of fussing I am able to get it pressurized. My main problem right now is when I spray a little starsan around the top, I’m getting very tiny bubbles. I tested it a few times just to make sure it wasn’t bubbles from spraying. I bet it would hold a fair amount of pressure for a few days, but there is a very small leak. At this point I’ve contacted HBS and will see what they say.

After doing some research, it appears that indeed the 12pt nut I have is a very old school Firestone style. This keg may be older than my teenager. Hard to tell with the dents, dings and stickers.

Wish I knew how to fix the picture issue. They worked well a few weeks ago from the app

I don't think I've ever met anyone in person that didn't have the exact same experience to what your having myself included. I had over 20 pinlocks at one point and they all leaked at the lids until pressure was applied and even then you had to turn the lids on some to find the sweet spot. I doubt getting a replacement 50year old keg will make any difference. I sold all mine and replaced them with the newer aeb Italian ball locks that are only a few years old and they seal much better. Cheers

I don't think I've ever met anyone in person that didn't have the exact same experience to what your having myself included. I had over 20 pinlocks at one point and they all leaked at the lids until pressure was applied and even then you had to turn the lids on some to find the sweet spot. I doubt getting a replacement 50year old keg will make any difference. I sold all mine and replaced them with the newer aeb Italian ball locks that are only a few years old and they seal much better. Cheers

Your probably right and lesson learned. First time buying a used keg. My other keg was bought new a few years ago and seals great. If I could get it to hold a seal w/o putting out another $20-30 I’d be stoked. Otherwise I’d rather invest in a new keg. I’m glad I posted this though, I just learned a ton of new troubleshooting tricks. Thank you for everyone for your answers and comments.

I have 10 used and 1 new
I have a smattering of ball and pin lock
Heck, I even have a racetrack lidded keg

Disassemble, new rings, lube, sometimes large lid ring, always worked. Used kegs will work; but it is hella-annoying to have issues so I do feel your pain.

UPDATE 8-9-2019

Just wanted to post an update. Contacted HomeBrewSupply and explained the issue with photos. 48 hrs later they replied that they sent out another keg which I received this morning. This keg is in MUCH better shape. Pretty much what I would expect. Fairly dinged up and has seen alot of use but doesn’t look like someone was testing steel toe boots on it. The lid has a snug fit and the posts are a style thats still made.

Prior to releasing pressure, I sprayed starsan around the usual places. Main seal and top of posts are tight. PRV has a tiny leak that was audible as soon as the starsan hit it. Will be ordering a new PRV seal and replacing the rest of the seals.

I wanted to again thank those that helped out. I certainly got quite the education on kegs issues and proper sealing techniques.

This is my second experience with Homebrewsupply, and the first time was less than mediocre. They came through this time like champs.

Back