Used freezer/refrigerator vs. new energy efficient freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got all my parts together for a 4 tap kegerator/keezer except for the refrigerator/freezer itself. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the balance of paying a little more upfront for new (I would buy a freezer, not a refrigerator) or paying less upfront for used one on craigslist but more in the long run for the electricity.

I recently did the same. I didn't hesitate to go new. There are some pretty good deals to be had if you shop around. Old freezers can be energy HOGS!! Plus, with a new one, there is no cleaning or mystery funk to deal with!
And, depending on your keezer design, you may not have to void the warranty on a new one, just in case you have any issues with it..

Why not use a fridge? You are using a freezer outside of it's normal operating range which will impact it's lifetime. One of the reasons to use a freezer is because it's cheap and used most times. Buying new kind of negates that.

I've used both fridges and freezers...if the idea of funk of an old freezer turns you off, be advised that freezers operated as keezers will sweat and condensate moisture inside and grow funk mold inside IME. Whereas a fridge stays nice, dry and clean due the defrost option.

I've used both fridges and freezers...if the idea of funk of an old freezer turns you off, be advised that freezers operated as keezers will sweat and condensate moisture inside and grow funk mold inside IME. Whereas a fridge stays nice, dry and clean due the defrost option.

This is something I've read before as well and have been thinking about just buying a used fridge. plus, the freezer space then to store ingredients and glasses (yeah, yeah, you're not supposed to, but I like a frosted glass from time to time).

Yes, after using chest freezers for a few years, my most recent beer machine is a fridge on top refrigerator. It is easier to load, doesn't sweat and get moldy inside like a keezer, and has a ton of freezer space. I keep about a dozen frozen 2 liter soda bottles I use for a turbo swamp chiller, as well as 4-6 pounds of hops.

The fridge probably costs more to run FWIW, but a keezer can get nasty funky b/w condensate and spilled beer...I had to bleach bomb and muck mine out occasionally.

Never had condensation in my chest freezer with 4 kegs in it.

I dont think i needed it because i had no condensation, but i bought one anyways. A simple $20 Eva-Dry unit put in will keep your typical freezer from ever having condensation issues. Every 3-6 months you take it out and plug it into a wall to recharge it. Simple as can be.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0XFD2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Maybe it depends where you live, here in Oregon we have very low humidity.

On the other hand no one can contend that a chest freezer will be more energy efficient than any upright fridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in the long run new(or young) is the way to go.

More energy efficient and also it sucks when you mod something to have the compressor go kaput soon after. Then you have to run out and mod something else...

also...frosted glasses...ugh

I think in the long run new(or young) is the way to go.

More energy efficient and also it sucks when you mod something to have the compressor go kaput soon after. Then you have to run out and mod something else...

also...frosted glasses...ugh

To each his own, my man.

FuzzeWuzze said:
Maybe it depends where you live, here in Oregon we have very low humidity.

Consider yourself lucky...in the northeast you would be in the Eva dry business, not the keezer business.

Ambient humidity makes all the difference!

Here’s a detailed article on the subject:

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/refrigerators.html

It turns out free refrigerators ain’t really free. Old ‘fridges are wildly inefficient.

Freezers use WAY less than ‘fridges, about 10% as much. Of course you’re going to have to be much stronger than me to lift kegs and carboys in and out.

A full keg should be ~50lbs, which should be taken into account.

If you cant fairly easily lift 50lbs up over your head off the ground getting a keg into a keezer would be difficult i agree.

I went the used route, modified it all and got two awesome blissful days and then it sputtered and died. I am now looking for a deal on a new.

Back