used carboy brush on plastic carboys, am i screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullenium

Reaction score
it did sorta put some very fine scratch marks around that top ring where the trub was i was trying to scrub away.

did i totally ruin the carboy? Can I just use it for wild ales now and be good to go?

Unless they're DEEP scratches, I'd say you're fine. very fine scratches shouldn't be able to harbor any infecting agents as long as you clean them and sanitize them.

I used a carboy brush on my better bottle when I got it in a trade. It sat for a long time,& soaking isn't good for the plastic they say. So I lightly scrubbed it inside,being careful not to let the metal scrape around. Came clean really easy with some PBW. rinsed well immediatly afterward. Those 5 quart ice cream buckets Are the right size for draining them as well.

If the scratches are fine and in the neck you should be ok. For cleaning them I soak overnight with oxyclean, rinse very well, put about a quart of hot water in with a washcloth and swirl it around. Rinse some more and done. I find them easier to clean than my bucket!

chances are every time to run a brush or cloth in a bucket or carboy you are causing scratches. very minimal but still scuffing the surface. if you clean your carboy after use and don't let crud sit in them for long periods of time, they clean up very easy.

I just can't see plastic bristles scratching plastic. The wire handle/shaft maybe. so I'm careful with that part. And hot water & PET are not concidered compatible. I had this discussion with the brewer at Black Box Brewing co.,my lhbs. But he was using the PBW recommended 140F too. Not good,it made them crack.

I never scrub my Better Bottles. I use a mixture of 1:4 mixture of Red Devil TSP and Oxiclean in hot water and soak them for about 24 hours, then rinse well. I've never had any redisual gunk left after the soak. I used to use straight Oxiclean, but I don't think it's as effective by itself.

Latest posts

Back