Use wine yeast after ale yeast is finished

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankjones

Reaction score
Folks, I like an extremely dry, bitter, hoppy IPA.

I ordered the midwest simply beer IPA kit and I'm going to add a 3.3# can of breiss pilsen lme to kick it up a bit.

I also am going to add two ounces of cascade and at the end at 15,10,5 minutes I'm going to add mosaic hops.

Going to use. Uso5 at first and thinking about adding montacharet after seven days of being in the primary. I'd really like to see thud beer hey down very dry very dry.

Can i get some input on this idea?

Drying it out, you'd probably be better off subbing some of that additional extract with dextrose.

I had read that the ale yeast will deal with the maltriose and the wine yeas well clean up the rest?

IIRC, what's left after the ale yeast is done is maltotetriose and some other complex sugars. Wine yeast is made to handle simple sugars.

Ok got it. How much sugar is to much to add only using uso5 a pound too much?

A popular extract recipe for a Pliny the Elder clone uses 3/4 lb of dextrose. Maybe start with that?

Back