Use beer bottles for wine??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOEH1234

Reaction score
Im making a cheap wine about a gallon and like to use my beer bottles. Can i do this? And do i add something to kill the yeast before i bottle?

Im making a cheap wine about a gallon and like to use my beer bottles. Can i do this? And do i add something to kill the yeast before i bottle?

Sure, you can bottle in beer bottles. You don't "kill the yeast", though.

If you want to sweeten the wine, you have to take steps to stop refermentation in the bottle. That's called "stabilization" and uses sorbate and campden tablets (sulfites). It doesn't kill yeast, but it means that they can't reproduce. That's done before bottling, once the wine is completely clear and no longer dropping lees.

No problem using beer bottles. I bottle some of each wine I make in beer bottles. Usually a 6 pack. Partly to have a smaller portion for periodic tasting to check the wine's progress as it ages without using up a whole bottle. Also, so I have some smaller, 2-glass, servings for times when I don't want to open a full bottle. Sometimes I just want a couple glasses and don't expect to finish a bottle in the next day or two so I don't want to waste it.

Back