US05 Ferm Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
Safale's PDF recommends ferm temps of US05 at 59-75F. Normally I keep the temps in the lower end of the recommended range, particularly during active fermentation.

However, on my latest brew the temp snuck up to the upper end of the range, to 73, but did not exceed the range (during most active part of fermentation). These readings are actual beer temps, not ambient temps.

Does anyone have experience exploring the various temp ranges of US05 and how being closer to the ceiling affects the final product differently than being closer to the floor? I'm curious to know. I know my beer obviously is not ruined, and ideally I'd have the beer fermenting at a more ideal temp, but what affects might I notice in the taste?

Thanks!

Good to know, thanks! Have you ever compared fermenting at that temp to fermenting lower... say the low 60s, and if so what differences did you notice?

Not by choice I don't have a way to control the temp. The only difference was i left it in the fermenter longer close to 2 months. A very clean finish to the longer ferment

For me, the sweet spot with 05 is in the 65-68 range. I start it at 65 usually. Lower than that and there can be some fruity/peachy flavors that come out. Starting it above 70 can result in fusels. If it hits 70+ after fermentation peaks, I haven't had much trouble, but high temps early on have proven problematic for me.

In the past I fermented US-05 at 62° to 63°. Mainly amber ale. The beer tasted pretty good. Then I tried US-05 with a dry Irish stout. Had an odd flavor after each swallow.
Someone else on HBT said at low temps, below 65°, the yeast will throw a peach flavor. That was the flavor I was getting.
Changed my fermentation temperature to 68° to 69°. My amber ale tastes different. It tastes really good. Very similar to Lakefront Breweries amber ale.

I've used it it up to 72 a few times with no problems. I prefer about 65 though.

I've noticed (with MY batches using US05) that maintaining temperatures is more important than what the temperature is - I get more fusels and off flavours if the temp bounces between 62 and 68 than if I maintain 70 constantly.

I just brewed an APA using 05 and fermented at 59. I definitely notice a peachy flavor due to this. I really enjoy the peachy flavor in conjunction with citra/Amarillo hops I used though. I definitely will do it again.

I'm currently fermenting Reno's punkin ale at 65 because I don't want peachy flavor in this beer.

I never noticed the peach and always use it in the low to mid 60s. At a group tasting I had an IPA made with it that I thought it was one of those Belgian IPAs. I found out he ferments in a room that's about 70. That ferment must of got way out of control. Still it was quite drinkable.

I've noticed that both times i've pitched any yeast too hot, i get an apple cidery flavour. This most recently happened with a cream of three crops and us-05. Theremometer broke and i ran out of time temp must have been in the 90s.

I try to keep 05 at 65-66 degrees for the first three or four days of fermentation, at least until it appears to be slowing down, then I ramp it up a degree or so per day for the next 5 or so days, trying to be at 70 degrees by 8-10 days into the fermentation. This has worked very well for me. I have heard of the peach/fruity esters at lower ferment temperatures so I avoid taking the ferment below 65 initially. I have yet to have that flavor in my beers, so I will continue my current regime with that yeast.

I am currently in fermentation on an APA with US-05 yeast. I pitched last Saturday, so today (Saturday the 27th) has been one full week. Initially I was using a broken thermometer but I had the fermentation bucket 75% submerged in a large cooler with ice packs. When I was able to get a working thermometer, average temperature under these conditions was approximately 67-70 degrees. I alternated frozen packs to keep the temperature steady.

Fermentation was very active through the first two days and subsequently slowed down. By day 4 it had almost completely stopped. Being that this is one of the first batches I take care of at home (my brother usually does this part of the brew) I was a but antsy about the fermentation progress. I pulled the bucket from the ice bath (approx 68-69F) into room temperature of approx 72-74F. Fermentation was actively more noticeable for about a day. I returned the bucket back into the water once again and resumed temperatures of about 65-68F. Today, bubbling is very slow almost nil. I happen to catch a stray bubble every now and then if I'm lucky.

Any thoughts on temperature fluctuation? Is this bad? Was my fermentation normal -Actively bubbling for 2 days then subsiding substantially?

I also just gave the bucket a small swirl to resuspend the yeast. I figure if no more bubbling occurs now then I can be certain that fermentation is probably at 95% completion.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Edward- Take a SG. You'll probably find that you are indeed in the 90-95% range. Most of my visible fermentations are over in 3-4 days. But-- that's just the visible signs. The yeast are still working. So leave it for another week or two.Temperature fluctuations could affect your yeast some, but 05 is a rugged beast. Plus the water bath in the cooler served as a thermal sink, helping keep the temps stable. You'll be fine.

Thank you Jim!

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a gravity reading on this one before pitching the yeast :/

Not really worried about the beer. Just more so curious about the temperature fluctuations. I've read a little about off flavors resulting from too high or too low temperatures but I've done good about maintaining above 64 and lower than 73. Average has probably been 68.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Those 'high-temperature' caused off-flavors (fusels, aldehydes, diacetyl, esters) happen mostly in the 1st 24-48 hours of fermentation. That's why it's critical to pitch at a nice low temp, and do your best keeping it low during the 1st few days. After that temp. is not as important, and raising the temp toward the end of fermentation is even beneficial. So, general rule of thumb is start low, finish warm to let the yeast do their work. Your temps look OK to me.

I keep my US-05s at 66 flat, maybe a rise to 70 after one week, depends on if I'm home that week or not. But 66 flat is my go-to temp as it's clean as can be.

Back