Us-05 yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1981

Reaction score
I've heard that if you ferment at too low of a temp. with 05 yeast it will produce peach like flavors. I fermented a cream ale with 05 at 62-63 degrees. Tried one and it does have some fruity notes. I did not think that was very low to ferment but there is definitely something there. Will this go away? Anyone else have this problem before?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have never noticed this with US-05. If it's a mellow peachy aroma/flavor it will go away after some aging. US-05 is a very clean yeast. I always aim for a 65F ferment temp and it never fails me.

Yes, one of the things I dislike about S05 is its weird "peachy" note when fermented below about 65 degrees. It's a great yeast at 66-70 for sure, but at cooler temperatures it's not nearly as "clean" as some other ale strains.

The peachy esters won't go away, but may fade a tiny bit.

Yes, one of the things I dislike about S05 is its weird "peachy" note when fermented below about 65 degrees. It's a great yeast at 66-70 for sure, but at cooler temperatures it's not nearly as "clean" as some other ale strains.

The peachy esters won't go away, but may fade a tiny bit.

Yooper: Since you seem to have more knowledge than most anybody in this world...what clean yeast strains are more forgiving? I've been a big fan of Nottingham lately because it seems to flocculate better than US-05 and really stay in the bottom of the bottles when you do a pour. I've had good results from 62-69F primary temps.

Nottingham is great, as low as 57 (I've never done it lower), pacman is wonderful at 60 degrees, and I like WLP001 at 63ish for a clean flavor.

S04 is an odd one. I dislike it above about 64 degrees, but at 62 it's very clean for a British yeast and it clears the beer very well. English ale yeasts are wonderful for making clear beers, but they usually have a definitely "Englishy" character to them (go figure!) so fermenting them cool usually means less esters.

California lager yeast (Wyeast 2112) is a winner at 60-65 for a clean finish as well and it has a definite "crisp lager" note to it.

Another British yeast that is clean, especially at cooler temperatures is Wyeast 1335 (British ale yeast II). If it's fermented at 63-64 degrees or even a bit warmer, it will be clean and almost crisp- and the beer will be clear as a bell. I use that one often for APAs and IPAs when I want a strong malt backbone (it seems to enhance malt) and yet leave a clean dry finish.

Thank you all for your replies, and thank you Yooper! Your last post was very informative! I'm gonna sit on this stuff for a couple months and see if it changes. I am bummed because I really wanted a clean tasting beer with it being a cream ale and all. Oh well another learning experience won't do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back