US-05 in 5 Gal of 1.070 Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eucrid

Reaction score
As the thread title suggest I want to use US-05 in a 1.070 IPA and I'm wondering will one packet be enough or should I use 2?

If you properly hydrate the yeast and properly aerate the wort it will do just fine. If you are simply shaking the carboy and pitching dry yeast on top of wort I wouldn't expect proper attenuation.

Well I don't have a stone for oxegen but I always rehydrate and try to let the wort get oxygen naturally as well as shaking the carboy. Maybe if I up my efforts on that front I'll be ok.

I totally agree! I aerate well & rehydrate the dry yeast in my Erlenmeyer flask for a total of 30 minutes. I nuke 400mL of spring water in the microwave till it's at about 80-90F. Then sprinkle in the dry yeast & cover with some sanitized foil or plastic wrap. Let sit 15 minutes then stir with a sanitized skewer or other. Then let sit another 15 minutes. All this while chilling the hot wort.
When ready to pitch, sanitize the skewer again & stir the mixture into a cream & pitch with ten degrees of current wort temp so as not to shock the yeast.

When is the expiry on the package? Dry yeast has a shelf life of 2 years if I'm not mistaken, so if it is a newer package then you should be fine with just re-hydrating but if its more than six months old I would make a 1L starer or pitch 2 packages.

Back