US-05 hot temp pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewGoose

Reaction score
Because I was in a hurry I had to pitch my yeast, US-05, at around 27 degrees Celcius.

Is that too hot? It sits in the garage and the temp in there is around 18-19 degrees. Any idea how it will turn out? Any off flavors?

I hope I'm completely out to lunch... but I'd say it'll turn out terrible. Pretty much not drinkable. I tried that a few times a long time ago. Pitched at 80 thinking it'd cool down... It will eventually, but by that time, the damage is done. Temperature control is critical early in fermentation. Late, if it'd happen to get that hot it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

How long after pitching did it get down to the ambient? Even at ambient the fermentation of the liquid will rise it close to 70, which should still be fine.
They key here is getting it lower by the time fermentation starts.

Sh*t!

Well, it was at 27 degrees for 30-60 minutes after pitching i think, no fermentation has started. Then room temp is 18-19 degrees. So it should've cooled down to that temp pretty quick. Still bad?

So there should be time for the wort to cool down before fermentation starts?

Its not fermenting at 27. Just pitched. Then it cools down to 19.

I pitched in the high 70s one time and had lots of esters and diacetyl with US05. Had perfect temperature the rest of the way though. The lag time is very crucial because the yeast are multiplying and if it's too hot that's not good. You may be able to get rid of any diacetyl of you let it sit long enough but the esters will be there to stay I believe.

I pitched in the high 70s one time and had lots of esters and diacetyl with US05. Had perfect temperature the rest of the way though. The lag time is very crucial because the yeast are multiplying and if it's too hot that's not good. You may be able to get rid of any diacetyl of you let it sit long enough but the esters will be there to stay I believe.

Fck. Hope its not ruined! 😷

I pitched US-05 at over 80 before and didn't notice any harsh off-flavors. Granted, it'll taste a little different, but I think you'll be fine.

Don`t worry too much, US05 is pretty good with higher temps compared to most non-Belgian yeast. Still that ambient temp is a bit on the high side during termentation as the wort will be hotter than your room. Consider a swamp cooler or at least wrapping it in wet t-shirts until vigorous fermentation is done.

Of all yeasts that is the higher temp one...thats the good news. Just wait it out and drink it. Time will tell.

Okay, 2 hours after pitching it sits around 24ish Temp...

I'm having a similar issue with a lager I'm doing. I brewed on a cool day, but couldn't wait to pitch. Got the wort down to 24°C and hoped to get it cooler before fermentation really started. BOOM! A couple 30°C days plus rapid fermentation equals 24°C lager fermentation.

I'm going to ride it out and see what happens. If brewing has taught me anything, it's expect the unexpected.

I may be the odd one out but I also pitch US05 at a high temp and had no issues. I was rushing as well. Pitched it at 83f. Sorry I'm Canadian so should be going on C but everyone on here always refers to F so that's all I go by with my beer. Anyways it was in a welsh pale ale. Found no difference in that and pitching at my usual 66. Maybe I just got luck. Both either way it's some hope for your beer.

I pitched US-05 at the same temp in to a black IPA and it came out as my best beer yet.

I guess it depends on if any flavour changes will be bad for the style. In my case it just added to it.

So i tried the first bottle of this 10 minutes ago. Definitely something weird going on. Very long weird bitter after taste that lingers on. And I dry hopped but the smell is kind of weird, not hoppy enough (i dry hopped 3 oz).

This pale ale had a sweet orange zest, coriander, amarillo and cascade. Everything went well except the pitching temp. Pretty sure it ruined the beer. Well, I learned hard from this one.

It probably just needs time to mellow out. Give it a couple of weeks. I've pitched warm a few times myself (but then immediately cooled it down in the ferm fridge) and it turned out fine.

So i tried the first bottle of this 10 minutes ago. Definitely something weird going on. Very long weird bitter after taste that lingers on. And I dry hopped but the smell is kind of weird, not hoppy enough (i dry hopped 3 oz).

This pale ale had a sweet orange zest, coriander, amarillo and cascade. Everything went well except the pitching temp. Pretty sure it ruined the beer. Well, I learned hard from this one.

Hmm. My last beer I pitched at the same temperature turned out the SAME way! A pale ale, but I didn't chill it as well as I should have. Thought I got the temp down before fermentation started. No hop presence at all, very weird bitter taste but it shoudn't have been. Glad I can pretty much narrow it down to my pitching temp.

In my experience a relatively hot pitch temp is OK as long as the ambient temperature is cold enough so that it stays cool while it bubbles. You're in for a lot more pain if it's warm for days on end.

Hmm. My last beer I pitched at the same temperature turned out the SAME way! A pale ale, but I didn't chill it as well as I should have. Thought I got the temp down before fermentation started. No hop presence at all, very weird bitter taste but it shoudn't have been. Glad I can pretty much narrow it down to my pitching temp.

So its the temp pitch. Good to know! I wont be doing this mistake again. Glad i have a beer fermenting that i didnt mess up the pitch haha!

Back