US-05 for Kolsch??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryteague

Reaction score
I ordered a Cologne Kolsch extract kit from Midwest Supplies, and got the premium dry yeast option. When I opened the kit today, it had US-05 yeast. My question is; is this the right yeast to use for this style? If it's not, should I order something different, or just use what I got?
Thanks.

US-05 will give you a clean flavor. but it won't taste like a kolsch. if you want just want a clean tasting brew just you can use 05. But if you want that kolsch taste use kolsch yeast. Beside kolsch yeast is really good to have around I use it in all kinds of differnet brews. Just wash it.

Someone should get a hold of Midwest supplies and ask why they are selling US-05 with a Kolsh kit. Makes absolutely no sense.

There is no dry kolsch yeast. K97 will get you close, but I get more of a alt taste from it. To get the authentic kolsch flavor you will need to get liquid. WLP029 is my go to for that style

If you are looking to stick to the style than get a kolsch yeast - if you want a great session beer brew it with the s04 - I've got a kolsch on tap right now with that yeast and it's a great beer - I somehow managed to get that tinge of green apple that is applicable for the style - don't ask me how.

Even though I'm a bjcp judge I rarely stick to style in my brewing - I like randy moshers approach better :)

Thanks guys. I'll be ordering Kolsch yeast later today. I'll just save the us-05 for the cascade IPA that I'm planning to brew after the Kolsch. I'll shoot an email to Midwest, and see what their reasoning for sending the 05 was. Thanks again guys.

Denny said:
So much THIS^^^^^^^

I find 2565 to give a much more authentic kolsch flavor than the White yeast.

Do you have any experience with K97? There's a brew pun near me that uses it in a kolsch. It's a fine beer, but doesn't seem much like a kolsch to me. More of a super clean blonde.

I sent an email to Midwest about the yeast, but I probably won't get an answer until Monday. They also forgot to pack the hops for another kit that i ordered, so I'm not real happy about that.
Now that I think of it, I may use the US-05 and see what kind of beer I get with it. It may turn out to be something I really like (what could it hurt?), maybe rack it onto some blackberries for a week in the secondary. What do you guys think?

K-97 is hard to find since safale doesnt sell it 11g packs, they only sell it in 10kg packs for some reason. The only way to find it in 11g packs is a couple stores repack it themselves

Bsquared said:
If all you can get is dry yeast, you could try to do a 50/50 blend of ale and lager yeast and ferment at low ale temps.

I live about 15 miles from my LHBS, so getting liquid yeast is no problem. I just didn't realize that Midwest doesn't have a dry yeast specifically for Kolsch. I'll probably just use the US-05 this time, and next time I brew a Kolsch, I'll know to order liquid yeast instead.

Dry kolsch yeast is not available, so you got a clean ale yeast. Midwest supplies website says "liquid yeast recommended for best results"

Latest posts

Back