US-05 fermenting at 73 deg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I brewed on Thursday night, cooled wort to 66deg and pitched 1 pack rehydrated US-05 for my Citra pale ale. I ferment in my basement where ambient temps are 62-63 deg. Friday evening there was a little activity in the airlock and temp on the bucket thermometer reading low 60's so I put a blanket around it, Sat morning I checked it before I went to work and one could see that activity was picking up and primary fermentation was beginning temp read 64deg now. So I work 24hr sr hifts and come home this morning and recheck the bucket and thermometer is reading 73deg. with very active fermentation in the airlock. I removed the blanket but figure the temp during fermentation is what it is now and won't drop until fermentation is over, which in my last 2 batches using US-05 has been 48hrs total so prob just another 24hrs to go. Is there anything taste wise I can expect from the higher fermentation temp from this batch? Once fermentation is over temps for the wort drop back into the 62-64 range during the yeast cleanup phase. I've been primary-ing for 14 days and I'm going to dry hop for another 7 with this beer then cold crash for 3 days before bottling. Thanks for any input.

*UPDATED* I put the bucket in my BK with ice water and in 4 hrs temp went from 73 actively fermenting to 63-64 and fermentation has pretty much stopped. I think I mini cold crashed the fermention process cooling it down. So now what do I do. I'm fine with the temp at 63-64deg ambient. Will the yeast start fermenting again on their own???? When the temp stabilizes will the yeast pick up fermenting again or should I reagitate the wort by shaking the bucket? Am I going to have to repitch another pack of yeast? Arghhhhhhh.

If you can get the temp down to 65 that yeast is a monster. It works best at 65 . I had a batch that I pitched at 70 and it heated up to 78 (was 72 degrees in my place) I put it in a rubber maid tote one ice. Got it down and it fermented furiously for five days.

swamp cooler method to bring the temp down. Also you can expect banana and clove flavors from the esters produced at those temps. since its still going id try to bring the temp down asap.

I put some ice and water in my 10gal BK and put the fermenting bucket in that. I'll check back in a couple of hours and see where it's at, its pretty cool so I'd imagine it'd drop the temp prob is trying to keep it there after it drops.

After the temp drops a bit you should see serious action and a nice white cream yeast cake on top

After the temp drops a bit you should see serious action and a nice white cream yeast cake on top

Should I pull the bucket from the water when the temp drops or just leave it and c where it ends up. Sadly it's in an ale pale so I can't see anything but it smells nice coming from the airlock.

At this point you should pick a temp and leave it alone;)

Constantly changing the temp is not helping and after this amount of time whatever flavors were produced at the higher temps are already present and may or may not go away so leave it be, let it finish and figure out how to improve your temp control for the next batch:)

Sent from the Commune

At this point you should pick a temp and leave it alone;)

Constantly changing the temp is not helping and after this amount of time whatever flavors were produced at the higher temps are already present and may or may not go away so leave it be, let it finish and figure out how to improve your temp control for the next batch:)

Sent from the Commune

Totally agree with you. I'm now just wishing I would've left it alone to finish fermenting, it was prob over half way done and like you said what was done was done as far as esters. Now I'm just hoping the yeast pickback up after 24hrs stabilizing at the new temp and finish fermenting. I'll prob check the gravity in a couple days and hope that fermentation restarted, if not I may have to repitch.

Well took a gravity reading today, day 7, and apparently that US-05 at the increased temp pushed it into overdrive, gravity reading is 1.012 3 points lower than the estimated FG of 1.015, I'm amazed. I'll take another sample at day 10 and 14 to make sure its done before dry hopping. The sample tasted like pure Citra too no taste of esters at all so maybe I dodged a bullet here, I'm beyond happy at this point should be a good one and come in at about 6.0%abv.

I had a batch with safale 05 run to 78 degrees. I caught it early maybe like that for 6 hours. IThat batch came out good.

I ferment US05 at 73 all the time and don't get off flavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I ferment US05 at 73 all the time and don't get off flavors.

Well, the two batches that i fermented US-05 in the low 70s i ended up dumping. My sister tried both those beers and thought they were good and said she ddint taste anything off. I could pick up the off flavor easily. It wasn't a bad flavor but i know its not supposed to be there if done correctly. She got mad that i wasted a bunch of beer after i dumped it.

US 05 can throw some peach type flavors or ripe fruit when it ferments at higher temps. I haven't noticed it though.

No, its peachy flavors at low temps and banana and clove type flavors at high temps

Low 60s and lower give peachy and low 70s and higher give banana

No, its peachy flavors at low temps and banana and clove type flavors at high temps

Low 60s and lower give peachy and low 70s and higher give banana

You're right I had that backwards.

Back