Urgent help bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkyP

Reaction score
Hey guys just about to bottle my first beer, it's a coopers mexican cerveza brewed with be1 and kit yeast. It's fermenting around 21 for 12 days and dropped to 18 for the last few, I taught my beer would will be well ready to bottle by now but the hydrometer isn't in the yellow meter. Iv got everything prepared to bottle now would I be safe to bottle with 1 coopers carbonation drop and I'm using plastic bottles. Any reply ASAP would be much help. Here's a pic of my hydrometer

image.jpg

Forget the colors. They are almost meaningless. Go by the numbers. Record what the hydrometer is reading now and the temperature of your sample. Usually sample temperature is wort temperature unless you held it in your hand to long. Take another reading in two days. If the readings are the same you are ready to bottle.
Two weeks for a low gravity beer is about right for some fermentations to finish. Not all.
After fermentation is complete the yeast are still working to clean up off flavors. Sediment and yeast are dropping out clearing the beer. Yeast cake is compacting.

Here is a link on hydrometer use and a temperature correction chart.
http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixA.html

Looks done to me at 1.010

If the gravity has remained unchanged for a few days it's done, go ahead and bottle it up!

Sent from the Commune

If the recipe calls for a lower final gravity, then you might not be ready. Has it only been 12 days since you brewed? If you want to be safe, bring the fermenter to a warmer location, rouse the yeast, and let it sit for another week or two. Don't want bottle bombs! Personally, I would never bottle a beer after 12 days.

Thanks guys, my bottling set up is a lot of work to get going I have every sanitized and ready to bottle, it's late aswell and I don't think my back will withstand lugging this 5 gallons back upstairs, will I get away with bottling this at 1010 or 1012 I'm using plastic bottles aswell so at least I won't get shards of glass in my face.

Only 2 weeks, coopers suggest like 7 days so I think I'll go ahead and bottle. My first brew so if it doesn't work I'll learn from my mistakes

Yeah, I misread that. Still, it should be done, but I'd probably be a little more cautious at just two weeks if I were bottling. Kegging, no problem, but bottling, I'd probably wait until I had a few days between two same-same readings.

Thanks for the help guys, I just dropped my iphone and the screen busted so I'm just gonna go ahead and bottle this brew and see how it turns out

Back