Upgrading to 10 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
So I'm still extract brewing but I want to double my batches of the ones I really like. Working on a keggle now and was wondering about the recipe sizes.

It's a 13 gal boil and was wondering if it is as simple as doubling the grain, LME/DME, hops and yeast. Plus whatever additives I want.

Also I was wondering about the heat source. I have a 60000 BTU burner. Do I need to up that too.

Thx for the input.

Yep, double the ingredients for a 10 gallon batch. I have a 60,000 BTU burner for my brews, when I boil 10+ gallons it takes a while to get there. It won't go crazy like it does for 5-8 gallons but it boils pretty good.

So I'm still extract brewing but I want to double my batches of the ones I really like. Working on a keggle now and was wondering about the recipe sizes.

It's a 13 gal boil and was wondering if it is as simple as doubling the grain, LME/DME, hops and yeast. Plus whatever additives I want.

Also I was wondering about the heat source. I have a 60000 BTU burner. Do I need to up that too.

Thx for the input.

yup u should be good by doubling ingredients there.

As far as the heat source, i have a 72k btu Blichmann and it can get 11 gallons boiling in about 35-40 minutes. I like to keep a lid on JUST until it starts boiling (if u go this route make sure to take it off after the boil starts to get rid of the DMS). U shouldn't have any issues with a 60k though, i would just expect a little bit longer for the boil.

I'd def recommend a dry run before u make a batch though just so u can get a good idea of your times as well as the boil off rate per hour.

yup u should be good by doubling ingredients there.

As far as the heat source, i have a 72k btu Blichmann and it can get 11 gallons boiling in about 35-40 minutes. I like to keep a lid on JUST until it starts boiling (if u go this route make sure to take it off after the boil starts to get rid of the DMS). U shouldn't have any issues with a 60k though, i would just expect a little bit longer for the boil.

I'd def recommend a dry run before u make a batch though just so u can get a good idea of your times as well as the boil off rate per hour.

Thanks for the heads up on DMS. I have never heard of the term or the correlation to evaporation during boiling.

Ya leaving the lid on with anything in the pot besides water is a really bad idea. It's like an instant boil over and very dangerous.

Glad to know that my heat source is good enough. I'm also glad I wasn't over thinking the doubling up part either.

Any other recommendations that I may need to start this new chapter in my home brewing adventure.

Thanks for the heads up on DMS. I have never heard of the term or the correlation to evaporation during boiling.

It affects certain styles/types of beer moreso then others.

Check out this link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/DMS

Basically there is a percentage that is boiled off after a 60 minute boil but the % increases exponentially (read on another site, can't seem to find the link right now though sorry) when u take it to 90 minutes or more.

This is important for the OP because if he starts doing BIAB or AG batches, he's going to need enough water to compensate for his evaporation rate if he's doing 90 minute boils. with my keggles i know my boil off rate and can plug that into beersmith and it will calculate what my pre-boil volume should be in order to have enough for my fermentation vessel after that longer boil.
Keggles are nice cuz they can handle the extra capacity.

Back