Upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanethebarber

Reaction score
Hey guys I was looking for some advice an opinions. I am wanting to upgrade to 5 gallon all grain. I have been doing 3 gallon but now I want to get a burner and a larger kettle. I was looking at the heavy duty 10 gal brewpot and Bayou Classic with the banjo burner for around $225. I could get the Polar wave Economy pot and dark star burner for $130. I am trying to keep wifey happy. Is the Economy pot a thin piece junk or will it be ok? Thanks in advance!

Don't skimp on the kettle! In fact, I'd go with a good 15galllon and you'll never need to replace it:D

Sent from the Commune

I bought a 40 qt aluminum pot thinking it would be more than enough, I should have bought the 15 gallon first. Foodservicewarehouse.com has some great aluminum and SS pots. A 15 gallon HD aluminum pot is $88.00. My 40 qt aluminum pot is from there, and it is heavy duty. I got a great deal on it too. I have a BG10 burner, and it is way more burner than I can use for my 40 qt pot, with 8 gallons in it. I am of the school buy once, and don't upgrade later if possible. I got my 40 qt pot before I got my burner, (turkey fryer) not planning on getting a great deal like I did. ($20.00) The 30 qt pot that came with it is fairly thin, but I only use it boil water now. I will admit I'm not cheap, I just have limited funds to purchase gear every now and then, and I only buy things I can either use for another application, or sell easily.

I've been using an 8 gallon Bayou classic brew kettle for the past year making 5-6 gallon All Grain brews with absolutely no problem at all.

Take this with a grain of salt: NB/Midwest seems to love taking already available commercial products, putting a trademarked name on them and then selling them at a markup over existing retail.

If you want to buy a junk propane jet burner, just get any turkey fryer out there at any local hardware store. It should be easy to find one with or without a pot for about $40 or less. If it comes with a 7-8 gallon aluminum pot you can start off using that and delay a kettle purchase. Once you get a kettle, you can make it an HLT or just save it for run-off or frying turkeys, crab boils or dying clothes.

Buy nice or buy it twice.

Echo those above: If you're shopping for a kettle, a 15 gallon stainless pot will last you for ever. Don't get hung up on how thick or thin it is, and personally I wouldn't go with aluminum - stainless is just so much easier to keep clean.

Back