Upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanethebarber

Reaction score
Hey guys I was looking for some advice an opinions. I am wanting to upgrade to 5 gallon all grain. I have been doing 3 gallon but now I want to get a burner and a larger kettle. I was looking at the heavy duty 10 gal brewpot and Bayou Classic with the banjo burner for around $225. I could get the Polar wave Economy pot and dark star burner for $130. I am trying to keep wifey happy. Is the Economy pot a thin piece junk or will it be ok? Thanks in advance!

If you want to keep SWMBO happy, but bigger pots. She's going to love your all grain beers, and she'll want you to brew 10 gallon batches of her favorite beers. You'll be sticking the equipment you are planning to buy now in the attic, and having to get bigger pots - which will be a waste of money. Go bigger now, so you don't have to buy twice.

On another note, I bought an "economy" burner (not the Dark Star) and I haven't been happy with it. I also have a Bayou Banjo burner that works great. Be careful.

The Bayou Classic kettles are great for the price. They're priced fair on Amazon + prime eligible. I don't have suggestions on burners, personally. And I refute the buy-bigger circlejerk always on these forums. Not everyone wants to brew 10 gals, don't let them talk you into it. If you think you'd like to do 10gal in the future then by all means go the 15gal, but stick with the 10g pot otherwise.

The Bayou Classic kettles are great for the price. They're priced fair on Amazon + prime eligible. I don't have suggestions on burners, personally. And I refute the buy-bigger circlejerk always on these forums. Not everyone wants to brew 10 gals, don't let them talk you into it. If you think you'd like to do 10gal in the future then by all means go the 15gal, but stick with the 10g pot otherwise.

I have to say I'm offended by your circle** term. If you want to go small, go ahead. But stay on the porch.

I started with a couple of 5 gallon extract kit batches, and then grew up into all grain pretty quickly. And found that I wanted to brew 10 gallon batches because I had friends that liked my beer and I wanted to share. Without the option to brew 10 gallon batches, I'd be spending more time brewing, and less time hanging with friends and enjoying some beer.

Yeah, the "buy-bigger circlejerk" was completely uncalled for but whatever. To that poster I would say the reason that people say to buy bigger is because you're one of the fewer brewers that never went bigger. I bought for 5 gallon batches and then quickly out grew my system. I was going to buy for 10 gallon batches but then bought a little bit bigger than that to do session 15 gallons and big beer 10 gallons. My reasoning is simple and has proved true. Once people start drinking your good beer they'll want more. Once they started compensating me for some of my costs I was able to brew more.

Just because you aren't brewing bigger than 5 gallon batches doesn't make your opinion right. To the OP buy what you want but don't just buy the 10 gallon pot because it's a 10 gallon pot. Take a look at the 15. It might just be a few bucks more and at that point maybe that's worth it to buy it or maybe it's not.

To the OP's original question I have a 82 quart Bayou Classic SS pot and I love it. Got it for $137 shipped and the 62 quart SS pots were on an amazon lightening deal for $88 shipped about a month and a half ago. Shop around and look for deals. I've also got the Bayou Classic SQ14. Once that thing is ripping and roaring you'll be suprized at how fast it goes. But it does use a good chunk of propane. I probably get around three 10 gallon batches before I need a new tank. At that point maybe look at the blichmann burner. It costs more but even if you're getting 4, 5 or even 6 batches per tank eventually with enough brewing you'll pay it off.

In the end you'll get as many opinions as you have posters. Try to estimate how much beer you'll want to make in the future. Also try to get an idea on where you think you can save some money and where in the long run you'll save yourself more by buying more expensive now.

I was not trying to offend you personally, sorry for that prand. I guess I use circlejerk more haphazardly then you guys. I should have said groupthink, mayhaps.

Literally every thread on here will have people saying to go bigger and then in turn you see threads every single day with big systems and terrible heat loss because they brew too small batches for it, or their temp probes in the kettle not even being submerged, etc. I also vastly disagree with you saying the majority of brewers move up to 10gals. The common batch is 5gals. That doesn't make either of our opinions right or wrong. If you reread my post you will notice I advise him to think about what he wants before just listening to the mantra of go bigger.

I have a cheap 5 gallon stainless steel pot. It's been used for canning and cooking down spaghetti sauce and making beer. I've had it for nearly 30 years and it still works just fine. I don't see much need to spend a ton of money to get a premium pot for making your beer. Taken care of properly a cheap on will last longer than you. I also don't see the need for a huge pot at this time. Lots of people say spend the money now or spend more later. I'll say spend more later IF YOU FEEL THE NEED. You may decide you 'have to" make bigger batches later, but you may also be like me and put the bigger pot away because you like the process well enough that you want to make lots of small batches for which the big pot isn't really appropriate.

Back