Upgrade Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PorterPete

Reaction score
This brewing stuff is addictive. I am already looking ahead to upgrade my fermenter to a larger size. Currently I am using a 1 gallon that came with my kit.

For certain reasons I am thinking about doing 2.5 gallon batches. I like the better bottle 3 gallon because it is square and they would fit better in my 5cu fermenting chamber. However picking up a 5 gallon now would provide more flexibility in the future without having to get more equip.

So my question is, can you use a 5 gallon fermenter to do 2.5 gallons or would that cause problem do to head space?

This brewing stuff is addictive. I am already looking ahead to upgrade my fermenter to a larger size. Currently I am using a 1 gallon that came with my kit.

For certain reasons I am thinking about doing 2.5 gallon batches. I like the better bottle 3 gallon because it is square and they would fit better in my 5cu fermenting chamber. However picking up a 5 gallon now would provide more flexibility in the future without having to get more equip.

So my question is, can you use a 5 gallon fermenter to do 2.5 gallons or would that cause problem do to head space?

The five gallon fermenter would be fine for 2.5 gallon batches.

I have a couple of three gallons better bottles, and I like them- but they might be a little small for 2.5 gallon batches due to the lack of headspace.

I don't think it is a problem for primary, but that is a lot of headspace for a secondary. Lots of people very rarely use a secondary, so if you don't want to use one, the 5 gal bucket will probably work great for you. Lessens the need for a blowoff tube as well.

The only thing I secondary anymore is Kolsch, and dark beers. Dark beers, IMO, just need bulk aging. And Kolsch has to be taken off the yeast for "lagering"

2.5gal in a 5gal carboy? go for it. No problem for primary, it will fill up with CO2 from fermentation quite rapidly :)

But if your going to use a 5gal carboy, might as well bump it to 3gal batch ;) thats 5 more beers ya know ;)

I don't plan on using a secondary yet. Guess the next step would be to measure the space in the freezer and see how well the 5 gallon buckets would fit.

I am thinking of 2.5 just for the math purposes. Easier to split the 5 gallon recipes.

Thanks for the info. From what I have read the primary produces enough C02 to fill the headspace but the secondary needs to have minimal headspace. Just wanted to make sure.

For what it is worth, you can use a large vessel for a secondary. You just need to purge the oxygen with CO2 to ensure you don't oxygenate your beer. I do that just in case for my beers, even when headspace is minimal.

Get the biggest m-f fermenter you can... you'll thank yourself later

Back