Updating Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I went to the site and looked, and looked, and looked to no avail. On two seperate occasions, the yeast I have used has niot been in Beersmith. How in the heck do you update beersmith and is SafAle's 05 that new?

I added safale us-05 to the yeast list myself. On your yeast tab, choose add new, then go to the safale webpage for all of the relevent info, like flocculation, attenuation...... Plug all of that in, then it will be in your list of yeasts.

RLinNH said:
I went to the site and looked, and looked, and looked to no avail. On two seperate occasions, the yeast I have used has niot been in Beersmith. How in the heck do you update beersmith and is SafAle's 05 that new?

Actually it is in there but listed for some reason under "DCL Yeast".

It will be Safale 56. They changed the name to 05 a year or two ago. I believe this had something to do with a law suit and the fact that it's basically a dried version of wyeast's 1056.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Actually it is in there but listed for some reason under "DCL Yeast".

It will be Safale 56. They changed the name to 05 a year or two ago. I believe this had something to do with a law suit and the fact that it's basically a dried version of wyeast's 1056.

I just came back to this site to post the exact same thing. Ya beat me to it Denny.;)

I should also mention that you can add anything that is not in the ingredients database yourself.

Just select the appropriate ingredient view (on the View menu) and then use the "New Hop" or "New Yeast" button to add the new ingredient.

Cheers!
Brad

enderwig wrote:
…..go to the safale webpage for all of the relevent info, like flocculation, attenuation......
http://www.fermentis.com//fo/en/pdf/SafaleUS05.pdf
I found this PDF, but it doesn’t have flocculation or attenuation. Would you post the information or where you found it? Thanks.

Denny wrote:
Actually it is in there but listed for some reason under "DCL Yeast". It will be Safale 56.
I have the newest version of BeerSmith, but for some reason Safale 56 is not in my database. What am I missing?

:off:

Off topic, but while on the subject of Safale US-05. Used it for the first time on Sunday's brew. Pitched at around 10:00pm. Activity by morning. By 10:00pm last night there was only about 1” of krausen, but totally wild activity. This morning the temperature of the carboy was up to 75 degrees in a room that was 65. Is this normal for this yeast? What flavor changes can I expect from the extra heat?

Put some frozen water bottles under the sweatshirt that’s covering it and got the temperature down to 70. Should I go for lower or has the flavor profile already been established?

AnOldUR said:
S-04, K-97, S33, T-58, S-189 and S-23 are all that are listed as DCL.

Hi I'm having the same issue with Beersmith.. can someone send me the yeast.bsm file that has Safale US-05 in it.

thanks

BeerSmith said:
I should also mention that you can add anything that is not in the ingredients database yourself.

Just select the appropriate ingredient view (on the View menu) and then use the "New Hop" or "New Yeast" button to add the new ingredient.

Cheers!
Brad

Beersmith, is there any way that you could add an import/export feature to the next version so we could easily swap entities? I would imagine that a webpage on your site or the beer wiki could contain the XML files.

FEARDIZ said:
Hi I'm having the same issue with Beersmith.. can someone send me the yeast.bsm file that has Safale US-05 in it.

thanks

or post a screen shot of how to populate the new yeast entry for this

thanks

atarlecky said:
Beersmith, is there any way that you could add an import/export feature to the next version so we could easily swap entities? I would imagine that a webpage on your site or the beer wiki could contain the XML files.

Never mind... I see that you do have one! My mistake... is there a central web page or whatever with the XML files?

All,
If you want, just export any ingredients you have added and I will include them in the next update for everyone.

Alternatively if you send me the web links for the product pages I can add them myself and put them in the next update.

Cheers,
Brad

You know I think beersmith is falling by the wayside just like promash when it comes to updating! I have own beersmith along while now and I can not remember the last time it was updated. I think it has been about a year or so now. Even though it is a great program it is lacking in the updating of the ingredients and the Yeast, badly!

It is so easy to add new malts, yeasts, etc. Yes, of course, it would be easier if it was already in there. But it I think it took me about 10 minutes to get the Fermentis info on all their yeasts and enter it into Beersmith. I copy/pasted the description in, and filled out the rest of the fields from the yeast datasheets.

If you really can't figure out how to do this, post here.

You are right it does take about 5 or 10 min to find and inter just the yeasts that can be found it is all the grains that would be great if it were updated.

what about malts, like weyermann's caraminuch I II and III? and unrefined sugars like piloncillo? how would I go about adding those in? thanks,
c

i've started to just put stuff into brew pal. the results aren't exactly the same as in beersmith, but they are close enough and i can carry brew pal around with me wherever go.

Still don't have the updates. I can enter it myself but come on, its one of the most used dry yeasts. I wonder if they are hoping that having it in the next version (which we will have to pay for) will make them more money then giving it away free.

Latest posts

Back