Updating Beersmith style guidelines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFoFalcon

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I downloaded BeerSmith to my laptop, after a couple years of having it only on my desktop. I figured it would be cool to do those last minute changes while I'm still brewing, rather than penciling them in on the brew sheet and then changing them on the PC later.

So I've noticed 2 little nuisances. First off, my old install of BeerSmith won't update the style guidelines past the 2004 BJCP update. This doesn't bother me too much, but it would be nice if the software matched up to version on my laptop, which allows me to use 2008 BJCP guidelines.

The other thing that bothers me is that when I import a recipe that I drafted up on my desktop, I get different gravity projections. I've tried my best to tweak every "tweakable" setting so that the two are the same, but I still end up with different projected OGs, which perplexes me.

I've tried using the "update" function in Beer Smith on both machines but it always goes through the checks and then says "no updates are available". Is there anything I can do to force Beer Smith to get the updates, short of doing a fresh install? (I hesitate to do that, because it would involve me exporting/importing dozens if not hundreds of items/settings/recipes.)

Copy the contents of your BeerSmith program folder on your desktop over the top of what's on the laptop and you will be set. I synch both of my installations this way and I haven't had any issues.

Back