Update to previous thread, new gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuds

Reaction score
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=569381

Linked is my previous thread, just to provide some background.

Today, after 18 days I transferred my brew to the secondary fermentation vessel. After I brewed it, I decided to pick up a hydrometer and check the gravity during the transfer. I came up with 1.020, which, according to Northern Brewers, it should be 1.012 to 1.014. The other thing to note, is that the recipe instructions only call for two weeks of fermentation, so I would have thought that it should be at that already.

I know not having the OG makes this a difficult question, but should it drop a little more in these next few weeks, or am I just SOL?

I know I'm like a new parent who takes their kid to the doctor when they get the smallest bump, but I can't help it -- my beer is my baby, and you all are my doctor! Thanks for all the help everyone, it's greatly appreciated!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=569381

Linked is my previous thread, just to provide some background.

Today, after 18 days I transferred my brew to the secondary fermentation vessel. After I brewed it, I decided to pick up a hydrometer and check the gravity during the transfer. I came up with 1.020, which, according to Northern Brewers, it should be 1.012 to 1.014. The other thing to note, is that the recipe instructions only call for two weeks of fermentation, so I would have thought that it should be at that already.

I know not having the OG makes this a difficult question, but should it drop a little more in these next few weeks, or am I just SOL?

I know I'm like a new parent who takes their kid to the doctor when they get the smallest bump, but I can't help it -- my beer is my baby, and you all are my doctor! Thanks for all the help everyone, it's greatly appreciated!

Only time will tell if the FG continues to drop. Did you happen to taste the sample and see if you could identify any sugars present? Take another reading in a day or two and see if the FG has changed at all. If after a few days there is no change then its unlikely to change any more.

Im assuming it was an extract kit? Extracts are notorious for finishing at a slightly higher gravity. When you transferred it to secondary you probably roused some yeast that could very well finish up a little more. I would give it a few more days and check the gravity a few times. If it stays constant then you're all set, if it changes then let it sit and finish fermenting. Welcome to the hobby!

It was indeed an extract kit. I did take a little test, and it didn't taste sugary, tasted what I would assume would be fairly normal. I'll keep an eye on the gravity for a few days... I need to get another box of bottles as it is, so it works out! Thanks for all the help!

It was indeed an extract kit. I did take a little test, and it didn't taste sugary, tasted what I would assume would be fairly normal. I'll keep an eye on the gravity for a few days... I need to get another box of bottles as it is, so it works out! Thanks for all the help!

Ya I would probably take 2 more gravity readings. Maybe one tomorrow and one Saturday or Sunday. If its stable, bottle away! Oh and a helpful hint for obtaining more bottles... Drink more beer :D

Back