Unwanted/Extra Hops Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFH_101Proof

Reaction score
I have recently brewed a honey porter and a wheat beer that I added peach to. Both the beers had/have a hoppier taste than would be expected. The honey porter eventually had that flavor fade after a couple months in the bottle. The peach wheat has been bottled for about 3 weeks and it has gotten much better but there is still a hoppy flavor for a beer that did not get much hops used to make it. Has anyone else had this issue and figured out what causes this and what fixes it? Could any hops that get into the fermenter be contributing to this? Thanks for any help/advice!

I have recently brewed a honey porter and a wheat beer that I added peach to. Both the beers had/have a hoppier taste than would be expected. The honey porter eventually had that flavor fade after a couple months in the bottle. The peach wheat has been bottled for about 3 weeks and it has gotten much better but there is still a hoppy flavor for a beer that did not get much hops used to make it. Has anyone else had this issue and figured out what causes this and what fixes it? Could any hops that get into the fermenter be contributing to this? Thanks for any help/advice!

Any hops added late to the boil will contribute to a hoppy flavor. It's not the hops in the fermenter, though!

Was the recipe without any late hops, but still a hops flavor is coming through? Or were there late hops, and that is where it's coming from?

They both had cascade hops for the last minute of the boil. The instructions said they were for aroma. Should I use less or put them in for a shorter time? Thanks for the help guys!

Honey porter- 1oz Chinook for 60 min, 1 oz Cascade for 1 minute

Peach Wheat- .6 oz Cascade for 60 min, 1 oz Cascade for 1 minute

An ounce of cascade at the end of the boil is going to make and leave a pretty hoppy flavor and aroma. I would love that- but if you don't, it will fade quite a bit with a little age.

For next batch, I'd suggest running the recipe by us on the forum, and we can tell you how hoppy (or not) something should turn out so you can decide to maybe leave out the later hops and still have a balanced recipe.

I think if you are getting hops in the fermenter (unintentionally), you are doing it wrong. Siphon off a spot not quite at the bottom of your kettle. Also, you can use a funnel with a screen.

An ounce of cascade at the end of the boil is going to make and leave a pretty hoppy flavor and aroma. I would love that- but if you don't, it will fade quite a bit with a little age.

For next batch, I'd suggest running the recipe by us on the forum, and we can tell you how hoppy (or not) something should turn out so you can decide to maybe leave out the later hops and still have a balanced recipe.

I have been using the MoreBeer! ingredient kits. I will shy away from "American" versions for beers I would like to have a lesser hop profile. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. Learning a lot from this experience.

I think if you are getting hops in the fermenter (unintentionally), you are doing it wrong. Siphon off a spot not quite at the bottom of your kettle. Also, you can use a funnel with a screen.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into getting a funnel and screen for my next beer. Do you agree with what was stated earlier though about this not contributing?

I've read that carrying over boiling hops to the fermenter can contribute a "vegatal" or "grassy" flavor. I have a doohickey that fits on the bottom of my siphon tube that keeps it off the bottom. And I go through a funnel with a strainer just in case.

If you don't like the American hops flavor, try an English ale, like a Nut Brown or a Mild--I'll bet you will love that.

I've read that carrying over boiling hops to the fermenter can contribute a "vegatal" or "grassy" flavor. I have a doohickey that fits on the bottom of my siphon tube that keeps it off the bottom. And I go through a funnel with a strainer just in case.

If you don't like the American hops flavor, try an English ale, like a Nut Brown or a Mild--I'll bet you will love that.

I love hoppy beers but the peach wheat was made with the intention for those that don't. Next year I will be using the German hef ingredient kit. The hop flavor for the porter just didn't meld well with the other flavors. I will have to get a funnel and strainer for future brews. Thanks for the tip!

Latest posts

Back