Unusual looking crud on my Brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger_andy

Reaction score
Can anyone sheds one light on what could have formed on my latest brew?

It's a recipe I found in here, a Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale. It has this fairly bright yellow crud floating around the surface. Almost buttery in colour. The cameras not quite picking up the colour though. I did a quick taste and although there is vanilla there it's not what is thought it would be? More an after taste. It's been fermenting 14 days now.

As as you can see the brew is quite clear and has a nice vanilla smell. I'm just worried about the Crud and what it is? I used ground vanilla seeds soaked in a single malt whiskey for 2 days.

Any help would be much appreciated.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415740827.099903.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415741184.860259.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So nothing to worry about? :)

I'm a little annoyed the taste is not what I expected it to be. :( couple of weeks bottle conditioning is not going to do anything I presume, other than lose the already weak vanilla flavour?

Maybe a little fizz might liven it up a bit? ;)

So nothing to worry about? :)

I'm a little annoyed the taste is not what I expected it to be. :( couple of weeks bottle conditioning is not going to do anything I presume, other than lose the already weak vanilla flavour?

Maybe a little fizz might liven it up a bit? ;)

is it sour? or vinegar like?

Not that I'm sure of? Vague I know. :( in my head it is but that's because I'm looking at the yellow gunk. By the end of the glass it started to taste ok? Hard to say now.

Not that I'm sure of? Vague I know. :( in my head it is but that's because I'm looking at the yellow gunk. By the end of the glass it started to taste ok? Hard to say now.

you're good just let it chill for a few weeks and let us know how it turned out

Take another sample in a day or two and focus on the taste, if it tastes sour or vinegar like it is infected. You would know what sour or vinegar taste like.

Latest posts

Back