Unreal sulphur/poo smell from Wyeast 3068

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmd1971

Reaction score
Hey all, I brewed a Dunkelweizen yesterday & pitched Wyeast 3068. When I came home today, the ENTIRE house REEKS like diarrhea. Totally gross. My wife is almost gagging. Now, I've had some sulphury fermentations but this is ridiculous. I've used 3068 before without this issue.

Anyone have any info here? Suggestions? Did something to horribly awry? I'm about to barf myself....

Fairly low for the Weihenstephan yeast - prob mid 60's. Absolutely stinks! I've been brewing for about 10 years & never had a stench like this. I keep it in our shower stall in the basement of a 3 floor house & the entire house reeks. I just used 3068 over the summer for a straight up hefeweizen & didn't get this foulness.

Smells like one of the kids just **** their pants. At least the smell will dull the produce of my youngest who came home from a friend's puking. What a great night!

I don't think it's the yeast. I have used it and had no strange odor, what did happen was the most vigorous fermentation that i have ever seen. Blow off tube a must with this yeast! My cherry stout was excellent.

What else would provide the ridiculous sulphur coming off of it? It is definitely the beer - it's closed in the bathroom now & reeks. When I first got home stuck my nose in the blowoff jug & almost passed out! Unreal, really...

I think it's diminished some but have had the ceiling fan on with the door closed so hopefully that'll help. I'm sure it'll diminish as fermentation slows, but just shocked as I've used this strain many times with no issues. Unless there was something wrong with the Wyeast batch....but I don't know if that would produce huge sulphur. Just wouldn't reproduce, etc

Back