Unofficial Memorial Day activities (post your beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeatyPortion

Internet Bartender
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On Friday some friends and I went to Arena to launch out on the Wisconsin River, taking along 5 gallons of Warbler Pale Ale in my portable kegerator.

First off we found a decent sand bar and I began to set up the kegerator, hooking up one of those 16 gram CO2 systems. I give one squeeze and the top of the CO2 disconnect shoots off with a loud pop, deafening me for a couple minutes. Later we found it 30 feet away. The keg got killed by the next day and only 3 of us were drinking. Fortunately, we had some Capital beer.

Hot dogs, brats, burgers, pop tarts (?). Great time, relaxing, just got back today to prepare to grill out tomorrow.

Some pix.

IMG_5210.jpg

IMG_5230.jpg

IMG_5234.jpg

IMG_5205.jpg

I used to live adjacent to the Wi River a number of years ago. Very nice area. Great pics.

Thanks. I wish I'd taken some more but I was just enjoying the atmosphere. The weather was overcast but it didn't start raining until about 1130 today and we were leaving anyway.

Nice! Nothing big planned for me tomorrow, but I just had my annual pig roast on saturday. Heading out for a 4 day camping trip next sunday, so your pictures have me excited.

That sunset and that portable kegerator look like a great combo.

I will be smoking a homemade pastrami that I have done many times. It's been brining for a week. I'm putting that and some ribs on the smoker with some pecan wood I had laying around.

Unfortunately, no beer will be made tomorrow but I will help my father bottle a couple cases of wine he made.

Where I got the idea for homemade pastrami:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pastrami.html

I have a honey wheat to brew and a Belgian dubbel to bottle. Also there's a sake kit I keep putting off. Tomorrow may be busy.

Then it'll be some strip steaks on the grill, maybe some brats.

I'd love to try makin pastrami for my bbq pit,& that pecan wood has make it just this side of Heaven! We're tossin country ribs with sweet rub in the pit with some apple wood. & taters brushed with butter & extra virgin olive oil. Along side some grilled veggies & two kinds of beans mixed with corn,peppers,& a chipotle sauce. Yum,yum! And of course,2 kinds of beer!

I didn't take any pictures at all, but we had our annual fish fry out at our lake cottage. It's been too cool to bring out the pontoon boat, but we did sit around the kegerator and enjoy hard lemonade and APA along with fresh crappies and one lone walleye, and all the fixings. I made my famous baked beans and cornbread, while my friends brought dessert (rhubarb cake), salads, etc.

Today I'm going to brew, as we're expecting more thunderstorms.

You have to post your build instructions for that masterpiece!!!

Here's the cooler I used: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F6UJ5K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

although you could use this one too, since it's what another member used to make his which is what mine is based off of: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003H5CTG8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Cut hole in the top using the base of a 5 gallon corny keg as a guide (measure twice, cut once), sand the rough areas and seal them so moisture doesn't get in the insulation, tape it up. Voila. I also had to cut the hinges on the top so I could get ice in. I'm using a 16 gram CO2 charger but you could probably make a 22oz or maybe even a 2.5 lb canister work with this.

Lastly, I use a picnic tap with 4 feet of line. Pretty simple. I might paint the thing someday too.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool pics mp, looks like a blast. :rockin:

Had a cookout planned for here today but decided to move it over to a friends with a pool, supposed to hit 90 today. I'll be commandeering his grill and doing strip steaks. Got twice baked taters, salad and some other fixins for sides. Can't bring my keg (I need to build a portable like yours) but I got some bottled and a few different friends will be bringing different types of home brew to sample also. should be a good time

I'm making 10 gallons of apfelwien later today, once I get out of work.

After passing around a couple bottles of my most recent batch, I have people clamoring for it. Including the owner of a nice little hair salon who offers her customers complimentary wine while they wait for their stylist to be ready. It'll be nice to get some additional feedback on my concoctions. :)

Latest posts

Back