Unidentified New Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yacov327

Reaction score
I recently came into possession of three kegs; two with the tops cut and ground off and one with the bottom cut off.

The middle keg has the Sanke opening at the bottom with only the plastic covering they come with from the liquor store, nothing else. It is also the one with the false bottom.

Can anyone explain to me what I am looking at and what else I may need to get this system up and running? I have been doing BIAB for a few years now in a 10gal kettle.

Let me know if you want better pictures of any of these.

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

looks like a mashtun and and two boil kettles(one missing a racking arm)or just a hot liquor tank. get two burners.

The mashtun is the middle one with the false bottom correct? I just can't figure out why its open at the bottom. Nothing will stay in with a 2 inch hole! Or is there something I'm missing, literally or figuratively.

Figuratively, that's a bottom drain mash tun.
Literally, I suspect most folks with one of those have a tri-clamp fitting welded in...

Cheers!

[edit] Like this
bottom_drain_keggle_mlt.jpg

If there is a 2 inch hole in the bottom, something is missing. Who did you buy it from? Can you ask them how they used it. Or more pictures of the one in question will be needed.

Day trippr is right. It is a bottom drain mash tun. I regular 2" tri clamp to npt adapter will fit it with a modified gasket. Brewhardware.com sells the parts you need to complete it. Looks like you're on the right track. One tank will be your hlt basically just to heat strike/sparge water. Last kettle is your boil kettle.

If there is a 2 inch hole in the bottom, something is missing. Who did you buy it from? Can you ask them how they used it. Or more pictures of the one in question will be needed.

Regrettably I can't contact the person I received it from.

Day trippr is right. It is a bottom drain mash tun. I regular 2" tri clamp to npt adapter will fit it with a modified gasket. Brewhardware.com sells the parts you need to complete it. Looks like you're on the right track. One tank will be your hlt basically just to heat strike/sparge water. Last kettle is your boil kettle.

Looks like that's the plan.

So the kettle on the right with no color should be my strike/sparge water tank. Gravity feed or pump into the mashtun. Then pump/gravity that into the boil kettle with the green/orange stripes? I selected that one as the boil since it has the racking arm inside. Am I thinking about all this correctly?

Back