Unibrau mini

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes. A little bait and switch advertising going on there. The videos show the complete system in use, when the initial price displayed doesn't include the controller. And at $220 bucks for a single PID and alarm, the controller is a bit pricey.

True. I was considering doing the controller myself but I'm a little wary of making one after seeing how sloppy the box I made for my fermentation chamber is.

Hi there,
My name is Steven and I'm the owner of Brau Supply. I really would like to clarify my intentions in pricing and presenting my products on the site.
In fact, I am offering my brew system in many different configurations. Using a standard Shopify platform allows me to offer the product in its many forms, Ie. without controller, with controller, upgraded pump and allows me to do this without having multiple items on my product page. Unfortunately, and I have tried to work around this without success, I'm not able to show only the photos that correspond to the option chosen.
I wanted to provide the brew systems to my customers who may already have certain brew components already, and I didn't want to populate my product page with a whole lot of repetitive product offerings.
My goal is to offer quality, well made products at the best price point I can offer, and to back it up with great service. If you have any suggestions for my website which can be constructively used to build a better experience for my customers, I'm listening. Thanks!

Hi there,
My name is Steven and I'm the owner of Brau Supply. I really would like to clarify my intentions in pricing and presenting my products on the site.
In fact, I am offering my brew system in many different configurations. Using a standard Shopify platform allows me to offer the product in its many forms, Ie. without controller, with controller, upgraded pump and allows me to do this without having multiple items on my product page. Unfortunately, and I have tried to work around this without success, I'm not able to show only the photos that correspond to the option chosen.
I wanted to provide the brew systems to my customers who may already have certain brew components already, and I didn't want to populate my product page with a whole lot of repetitive product offerings.
My goal is to offer quality, well made products at the best price point I can offer, and to back it up with great service. If you have any suggestions for my website which can be constructively used to build a better experience for my customers, I'm listening. Thanks!

Does the unibrau mini come with a hole for a temperature probe to screw into or is there some other way that the temperature probe is attached to monitor mash temperatures?

I recently built a 5 gallon BIAB system with a 11 gallon pot for only about $50 more and with two elements. I think the total price including tool rental and the bits to drill the holes I needed was $550. This seems quite a bit over priced to me.

The system comes with a tee in the lid which the probe screws in to. There are disconnects on the lid and on the control box to make cleaning the system easily. It's designed to read the input temperature of the recirculating mash for the most accurate temperature readings.

If you think you can build it for yourself, by all means do it if you have the time! I think it's fun, that's how I began this venture. Doing it myself. I've built many systems now and I can break down the cost of things for you.
I'm going to reference eBay and Amazon for most things. I'm sure some items can be found for less, it all depends on what your time is worth:) I use some of my prices in this quote because I couldn't find a better price online for the exact same product.

Let's Start with the Kettle Assembly:
1-24QT Pot Bayou $53 Amazon
1-Nylon Bag $9.95 brausupply
1-Pump and electrical supply $50
40" silicone tubing $10 ($2.50 per ft.) brewers-hardware
4- Female SS QD to barb $12.38 Amazon (11.95 brausupply)
2- SS Male connects to 1/2" FPT $7.95 brausupply
1-element electrical enclosure and strain relief $20 brew hardware
1-power cord $7
1-NPS 1" Nut for element $5.48 Amazon
1- Silicone O-ring for element $8.90 (pack of 25)
1-Stainless Steel Non rusting 1500W Incoloy element ULWD with Stainless Base $39 brew hardware sells only the 2000W version. Brewha? $45
2- QD male connect to mpt thread $14.99 Amazon
1- Female Coupling 1/2" SS $5.17 Amazon
1- 1/2" Tee $5.95 Amazon
1- 2 piece full port ball valve SS $10.39 Amazon
2- Closed thread nipples SS $1.60 Amazon
1- stainless elbow 1/2" $2.61 Amazon
2- 1/2" locknut SS $4.95 Amazon
2- 1/2" silicone o-rings $0.81 (pack of 5)
2 Stainless Steel Washers 7/8" ID $1.95 AIHB

Total $346.66 plus you have to pay for shipping on multiple items from multiple sources. And you need to rent or buy 2 sizes of green lee hole punches and a step bit for stainless plus a tapping bit that's good for stainless also. And you need time, lots of it because you will be searching on the net for the best prices, who has cheaper shipping, I think you get the point.

Now for the controller.
The enclosure can be found at Auber Instruments, and of course so can the PID. I'm expecting my own custom enclosures very soon, and they will look slick.
1- Enclosure $28.15
1- PID with Timer $57.50
1- SSR 25A $7.43
1- Switch 20A $6.69 amazon
1- 6' 16/3 ext cord $8
2- pg11 cable gland $3.59 (5 pack) Amazon
1-mini buzzer $8.22 Auber
1-RTD-PT 100 Probe $35 brausupply
length of 16G wire around $10
Total $164.58

So, you can see the total cost of doing it yourself is $511.24 plus multiple shipping costs from your many sources.
I'm sure someone will discover that they could find this or that part for less, good for you. But the fact is it's going to set you back around $500 - $550 and a bunch of your time. There will be those who debate exactly how much time. Let's put it this way, if you are doing it yourself for the first time, bank on at least a day.
I didn't get into this to rip people off. I do it because I want to make it easier and I love brewing and sharing my knowledge. If you do want to do build it yourself, you definetely should. If you need help some direction along the way, contact me I'm always willing to point you in the right direction.
Soon I will post build instructions on my site also for the DIY people out there.
Sorry for this ultra long post, I just wanted to make crystal clear exactly how much this will actually set you back.

If you think you can build it for yourself, by all means do it if you have the time! I think it's fun, that's how I began this venture. Doing it myself. I've built many systems now and I can break down the cost of things for you.
I'm going to reference eBay and Amazon for most things. I'm sure some items can be found for less, it all depends on what your time is worth:) I use some of my prices in this quote because I couldn't find a better price online for the exact same product.

Let's Start with the Kettle Assembly:
1-24QT Pot Bayou $53 Amazon
1-Nylon Bag $9.95 brausupply
1-Pump and electrical supply $50
40" silicone tubing $10 ($2.50 per ft.) brewers-hardware
4- Female SS QD to barb $12.38 Amazon (11.95 brausupply)
2- SS Male connects to 1/2" FPT $7.95 brausupply
1-element electrical enclosure and strain relief $20 brew hardware
1-power cord $7
1-NPS 1" Nut for element $5.48 Amazon
1- Silicone O-ring for element $8.90 (pack of 25)
1-Stainless Steel Non rusting 1500W Incoloy element ULWD with Stainless Base $39 brew hardware sells only the 2000W version. Brewha? $45
2- QD male connect to mpt thread $14.99 Amazon
1- Female Coupling 1/2" SS $5.17 Amazon
1- 1/2" Tee $5.95 Amazon
1- 2 piece full port ball valve SS $10.39 Amazon
2- Closed thread nipples SS $1.60 Amazon
1- stainless elbow 1/2" $2.61 Amazon
2- 1/2" locknut SS $4.95 Amazon
2- 1/2" silicone o-rings $0.81 (pack of 5)
2 Stainless Steel Washers 7/8" ID $1.95 AIHB

Total $346.66 plus you have to pay for shipping on multiple items from multiple sources. And you need to rent or buy 2 sizes of green lee hole punches and a step bit for stainless plus a tapping bit that's good for stainless also. And you need time, lots of it because you will be searching on the net for the best prices, who has cheaper shipping, I think you get the point.

Now for the controller.
The enclosure can be found at Auber Instruments, and of course so can the PID. I'm expecting my own custom enclosures very soon, and they will look slick.
1- Enclosure $28.15
1- PID with Timer $57.50
1- SSR 25A $7.43
1- Switch 20A $6.69 amazon
1- 6' 16/3 ext cord $8
2- pg11 cable gland $3.59 (5 pack) Amazon
1-mini buzzer $8.22 Auber
1-RTD-PT 100 Probe $35 brausupply
length of 16G wire around $10
Total $164.58

So, you can see the total cost of doing it yourself is $511.24 plus multiple shipping costs from your many sources.
I'm sure someone will discover that they could find this or that part for less, good for you. But the fact is it's going to set you back around $500 - $550 and a bunch of your time. There will be those who debate exactly how much time. Let's put it this way, if you are doing it yourself for the first time, bank on at least a day.
I didn't get into this to rip people off. I do it because I want to make it easier and I love brewing and sharing my knowledge. If you do want to do build it yourself, you definetely should. If you need help some direction along the way, contact me I'm always willing to point you in the right direction.
Soon I will post build instructions on my site also for the DIY people out there.
Sorry for this ultra long post, I just wanted to make crystal clear exactly how much this will actually set you back.

Thanks for the breakdown! I was pretty sure the kettle part wouldn't be much cheaper to do myself. I'm currently working on building a controller since I feel a little more comfortable doing that myself (don't like the idea of putting a bunch of holes into a nice new pot haha)

The system comes with a tee in the lid which the probe screws in to. There are disconnects on the lid and on the control box to make cleaning the system easily. It's designed to read the input temperature of the recirculating mash for the most accurate temperature readings.

Another question:
Can it really accommodate batches up to 5 gallons? A 6 gallon pot seems like it would be a little tight once you have your grains and everything in there. Also, boiling that much in that pot seems like it would be a little dicey. Or is there something I'm missing?

It definetely is tight to do a 5 gallon batch with the mini. It is possible though. The boil off is around 1/2G per hour. What I started doing with most of my BIAB batches is this. I start with less strike water than the recipe calls for. Once i pull the grains, I leave them to drip over my primary. I take the remaining strike water (usually just hot from the tap) and pour over the grains and collect this and dump it into the boil. By doing this, I can fit a 5 gallon batch in the system. It is very full though as it sits just below the top. Obviously it takes longer to get there, roughly 1 deg/min with a 5g batch. You need to be there when it gets to the boil too. A sprayer with water helps.
I've released 36Q versions with 2 elements also, if you're regularly planning on a 5G batch and would like the 120V option I'd recommend this option.

It definetely is tight to do a 5 gallon batch with the mini. It is possible though. The boil off is around 1/2G per hour. What I started doing with most of my BIAB batches is this. I start with less strike water than the recipe calls for. Once i pull the grains, I leave them to drip over my primary. I take the remaining strike water (usually just hot from the tap) and pour over the grains and collect this and dump it into the boil. By doing this, I can fit a 5 gallon batch in the system. It is very full though as it sits just below the top. Obviously it takes longer to get there, roughly 1 deg/min with a 5g batch. You need to be there when it gets to the boil too. A sprayer with water helps.
I've released 36Q versions with 2 elements also, if you're regularly planning on a 5G batch and would like the 120V option I'd recommend this option.

I don't foresee myself doing much more than 3 gallon batches, but would like the ability to do 5 gallons if I really got a recipe nailed down to exactly how I want it.

I ordered one back in February and it shipped the next business day. I should be brewing my first batch soon and will let everyone know how it goes.

I ordered one back in February and it shipped the next business day. I should be brewing my first batch soon and will let everyone know how it goes.

I'm sorry I didn't see this question sooner! Looks like it's been answered:) Yes, we try and get these out the door within 3 business days of an order. At the moment we are building an inventory so we can ship right away.

Great thread. Thanks for the input.
Carter, I've managed a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon pot several times. I kept the sparge separate and added it as the wort boiled down, then topped off in the fermenter too. I kept 1 gallon of headspace before hot break, 1/2 gallon after. But you have to watch carefully to avoid boilover.

I've completed 2 batches on my Unibrau mini so far and I'm loving it.

The brew water started at 64* and reached mash in temp of 154* in 33 minutes. Mash temp to boil took 49 minutes, and using the brausupply plate chiller, the boiling wort was chilled to 70° in only 6 minutes.

i pretty much only brew 2.5 to 3.5 gallon batches now when i do BIAB. I do larger PM batches 5-10 gallons. This system is perfect for me. Steven is awesome to work with. I was all set to order when SWMBO had to have heart surgery, even with insurance that has set me back over 80K. So the BrauMini had to go on hold, but as soon as I can, I'm getting one.

Truly, im telling you guys, ask him anything about his system, he will answer. Im sure he wants to make profit, but really he's trying to deliver a more affordable system for excellent home brew.

Just joined this forum. It feels a bit like an AA meeting. "My name is .... and I'm ....".

I live in Manila in a smallish apartment making 5 gallon batch brewing with the smallest Bräumeister a little awkward let alone affordable. The Unibräu Mini seems ideal for me.

And Steven seems legit having spelled out his intentions and pricing model.

Attached is a photo of the mini/micro thermoelectric fridge I bought specifically for fermenting a 1 gallon batch in this tropical heat. It works like a charm.

fermentation2.jpg

i basically love my mini.

mine's 120v and a single 2k element, if memory serves.

i'm happy to try to answer any questions, if anyone has any ...

I've completed 2 batches on my Unibrau mini so far and I'm loving it.

The brew water started at 64* and reached mash in temp of 154* in 33 minutes. Mash temp to boil took 49 minutes, and using the brausupply plate chiller, the boiling wort was chilled to 70° in only 6 minutes.

How large was your batch?

I'm looking to grab one of these for my kitchen for experimental batches. Do you guys know what other quick disconnects work with the ones that it comes with? When I add a couple to my order, shipping more than doubles ($20-$50).

-JT

It's been a while since this thread was alive but how does everyone like their unibrau? Looks like an affordable entry level system.

After a year I'm still loving mine. Just upgraded my kettle to a 62 quart but plan to continue using the Unibrau controller, multiple 1500 watt elements, the pump and all the quick disconnects.

How large was your batch?

I'm looking to grab one of these for my kitchen for experimental batches. Do you guys know what other quick disconnects work with the ones that it comes with? When I add a couple to my order, shipping more than doubles ($20-$50).

-JT

I normally plan for a 3.2 gallon batch with around a 4.25-4.5 gallon boil.

I also upgraded to a larger kettle and camlock quick disconnects. The pump and controller are still working great and cannot imagine any reason to change them.

I normally plan for a 3.2 gallon batch with around a 4.25-4.5 gallon boil.

I also upgraded to a larger kettle and camlock quick disconnects. The pump and controller are still working great and cannot imagine any reason to change them.

What size kettle are you using to brew a 3.2 gallon batch? I was looking to do 2-3 gallon batches and was afraid to get a larger kettle than the 6gallon with the fear of the liquid not being high enough to keep the element covered when the pump is on. Seems the 6 gallon would be fine, confirmed by Steven but have a couple friends who possibly would brew on the system as well as they might want to do a slightly larger batch.

I'm an all grain brewer who's looking to simplify my day and brew indoors with eBIAB. The Unibrau Mini looks perfect for my current needs. What's holding me back right now is the fear of scorching the beer with the electric element. The threads I've read regarding this are mostly wheat and rye beers. About half of the beer I brew have wheat and my favorites have flaked oats; so I'm a little hesitant. Has anyone with a Unibrau BIAB system had scorching issues?

Thanks!

I'm an all grain brewer who's looking to simplify my day and brew indoors with eBIAB. The Unibrau Mini looks perfect for my current needs. What's holding me back right now is the fear of scorching the beer with the electric element. The threads I've read regarding this are mostly wheat and rye beers. About half of the beer I brew have wheat and my favorites have flaked oats; so I'm a little hesitant. Has anyone with a Unibrau BIAB system had scorching issues?

Thanks!

No issues here, but I don't really use wheat and rye. If you're concerned about it, I'd just leave the pump circulating while heating up to boiling. That should give sufficient agitation to prevent anything settling on the elements and scorching.

No issues here, but I don't really use wheat and rye. If you're concerned about it, I'd just leave the pump circulating while heating up to boiling. That should give sufficient agitation to prevent anything settling on the elements and scorching.

That makes sense. I just went through a 20 page thread you started of April 2015 and not one mention of scorching. A few people with (possible) pump cavitation issues but it didn't seem to hurt the beer at all. I'm actually looking at the 5 gallon 120v system now. All my fermenters and kegs are set up for 5 gallon batches anyway and I'd like the ability to brew bigger beers:rockin:

Back