Unhopped 100% rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
Homebrew for trade for critique

It's good, but very wierd.
Sour (like a lemon, not vinegar), smooth, refreshing

I really am not into trading, but you have my interest! How the heck do you do a 100% rye? The unhopping I can figure out on my own. ;)

There is some rye spiciness, but it is much less than you would expect.

We sampled this again Sunday, and someone nailed the sourness as green apple. It was identicle to when you bite into a nice crisp green apple.

No rice hulls.
I use a grain bag to strain the mash (almost BIAB)
No issues sparging that way, and the wort was not overly thick.

There is some rye spiciness, but it is much less than you would expect.

We sampled this again Sunday, and someone nailed the sourness as green apple. It was identicle to when you bite into a nice crisp green apple.

How long was it on the yeast for and what temp did you ferment at?

Green apple and tart sour flavors are from Acetaldehyde and Acetic acid, both caused from flaws in the brewing process.

http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/worlds-first-all-rye-beer/

Bear republic released a 100% rye beer back in 2008 and nowhere in the flavor profile is sour/apple/tart which makes me wonder? Not to slam you or anything but this is an awesome idea and you might have given me insight to make my own!

Cheers

Green apple is usually an off flavor.

But the flavor of this beer is way more influenceed by lack of hops (zero) than being all rye.

Latest posts

Back