Unexplained off taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ox45

Reaction score
Hello,

I made a batch of Centennial Blonde (followed recipe on here and hit numbers pretty much spot on). I force carb in corny kegs.

I aimed for a co2 volume of around 2.3 (45F on 12psi). This seemed to give me pretty good carb level and head retention.

I did not drink any for about 5 days (blasphemy!). When I went to pour a glass, the faucet was stuck. I took it apart and cleaned. I have a tub of silicone faucet grease for the kegs, so I figured why not and slathered some on the internals of the faucet. Put it back together and poured a glass.

The beer just was not the same. It had a sourness/bitterness to it. Not overwhelming like an infection, but definitely noticeable to me. Also I noticed that there was no head, and it seemed colder. Took temp and it was 40F, not the normal 45F.

This is the conundrum. I left the glass out to warm up and I defizzed it, and it started to lose the bitterness. This seems like symptoms of overcarbonation, but there was no head on the beer. And 2.5 volumes does not seem too high for this style. Has anyone used the faucet silicone grease on the taps before and noticed any type of off taste? Or did it effect head retention at all?

I'm going to take the faucet apart and scrub the grease off, just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem before.

Thanks!

I've had this before too. The only thing that cures it is time. It seemed to happen if I force carbed at 30 psi, then brought it down to 10 psi, then back up to 30. Don't ask me why it happened but the carbonic bite was not pleasant. Just have to wait it out, sorry.

Funny part is I usually crank it to 30 for a day or two and then turn down to serving pressure. This is the first one I ever did the low and slow method.

Also, one important piece to the puzzle I forgot. The pressure relief valve on the keg failed and blew all my co2 out of the system. I had to remove the lid to the keg and replace the valve. I re-sanitized everything and the lid was only off for a few minutes (thank god for back up parts!).

Latest posts

Back