Uneasy about my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozengator

Reaction score
I am in about the 2 week mark and no bubble for about 5 days, looks like it still has krazen on top. Only thing I did different was wrap fermentor with an insulation that came in a Hello Fresh mail box. Basement has been about 65 ° but temp of beer stayed around 68°

I did bring it up stairs before dry hopping. Right now it is also very cloudy. It is an IPA

Don't use krausen as a judge of completion. Every yeast and recipe is different. Some beers never "fall". If you aren't seeing bubbles in the airlock, think its been long enough, and really want to know, take a hydrometer sample. If it's <= what you think should be terminal gravity, keg that sucker (or cold crash it, or whatever your plan was for post fermentation).

I am in about the 2 week mark and no bubble for about 5 days, looks like it still has krazen on top.

Appearance of the beer and/or airlock activity are not indicators of what stage the fermentation is at. As someone else stated, the only sure way to know is with a hydrometer. Wait for 10-14 days after pitching yeast and take a hydrometer reading. Then 2-3 days later, take another; if they are the same, the fermentation is done and it is safe to bottle. If they aren't then let it go another couple of days and repeat until you get two consecutive readings that are the same. If you put beer in a bottle that hasn't finished fermenting, esp. with the addition of priming sugar, it will continue producing excess CO2 and likely result in "bottle bombs". Been there, done that. Not fun, messy and dangerous.

Hard to give advice without knowing the yeast you used but your attenuation is 79% so I'd say you're done.

05 is what was used. It just seems like everything i have done in past by this time has settled to the bottom

Anyway to cold crash it?

Are you bottling? If so make sure your done.

If your kegging and it isn't done you just get a little more carbonation:D.

Personally I haven't had S05 go much below 1.010, maybe a few points.

Good luck!

Back