Underpitching hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staylow

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm planning my first hefeweizen, and have read a lot about underpitching and slightly stressing the yeast to bring out more banana character. Stressing the yeast can also be achieved by limiting 02 and skipping any yeast nutrient. My question is: would doing all three be too much, or not entirely necessary? My goal is a hefe with big banana character, and limited clove character. My general plan is:

Ferment fairly low, around 64 to limit clove character

Shoot for a pitch rate around .50 mil cells/ml/deg plato

Cut my normal oxygenating time with pure 02 from 60 seconds to 30

Do not add yeast nutrient

Does this seem like overkill, or do you think it will get me in the ballpark I'm looking for?

I love making Hefe and have found banana/bubblegum comes from the higher end while clove from the lower. Underpitching is good, I still oxygenate mine with just a aeration stone and pump so I definitely don't have as much o2 as you probably get from your 60 sec blast. I'd also avoid any acid malt in the mash. While it helps correct for Ph the 4-VG compound is consumed by yeast and turns into that clove flavor.

I've been on an Imperial Hefe obsession for a while now (not an official style... I know) and it's become my favorite beer. Also love the banana and have experimented with pitch rates and can say beyond the shadow of a doubt, it affects the beer quite a bit.

In short, keep your pitch rates fairly low and fermentation temperature high (low 70s). Pitching higher amounts of yeast will definitely kill the banana.

Imperial Hefe... body, mouth feel and alcohol of a Tripel with the flavor, aroma and color of a Hefe.

Interesting. Keeping fermentation temps high limits the clove character. I thought I read that high temps bring out more phenols. I suppose I'll shoot higher. Maybe 68, then ramp up to the low 70's as fermentation progresses.

So is a .5 pitch rate low enough? Or should I go lower?

Thanks for the responses guys.

I haven't played with nutrient and O2 levels (always use both) but the one time I used a stir plate and pitched more yeast, the banana was very diminished. I would say anything at or less than recommended pitch rates would be fine along with a high fermentation temperature.

FYI, all my experience has been with Wyeast Weihenstephan...

I've been on an Imperial Hefe obsession for a while now (not an official style... I know) and it's become my favorite beer. Also love the banana and have experimented with pitch rates and can say beyond the shadow of a doubt, it affects the beer quite a bit.

In short, keep your pitch rates fairly low and fermentation temperature high (low 70s). Pitching higher amounts of yeast will definitely kill the banana.

Imperial Hefe... body, mouth feel and alcohol of a Tripel with the flavor, aroma and color of a Hefe.

Would you mind posting your recipe?

Would you mind posting your recipe?

Here you go... basically just a big Hefe but variations in the process seem to have a pretty big effect on this yeast.

10 gallons:

12 lb wheat
12 lb pilsner
1 lb munich
1.25 oz Hallertau bittering (no aroma addition)

Wyeast Weihenstephan yeast (at or below recommended pitch rate)

Mash about 152F and I've kept it pretty loose. OG last batch was 1.082 and, fermenting at 72F, it finished at 1.009 for about 9.7% ABV. Lots of banana with plenty of mouth feel, body and lacing... alcohol is well hidden.

I did aerate with O2 for about a minute and used yeast nutrient in the boil. Fermentation goes about 13 days and the first 24 hours are downright violent. lol. I have 40% head space and it's not enough. I crash this as soon as it hits FG so no real secondary.

One last important note. I serve this on 22 to 25 psig CO2 and you really need a Perlick flow control faucet if you're going to run CO2 this high.

Back