Underpitching and extract brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jubilee

Reaction score
I recently decided to take the plunge into AG. Everything is sitting neatly arranged on the garage shelves, just waiting for the Penrose kettle to arrive.

I've been thinking though...if I made a proper starter and injected pure O2 in my (extract) wort, what kind of difference would this make?? Up until now I've employed shake n' pray and pitched smack packs or dry yeast directly into the wort.

My extract brews have been decent, but I've always detected that hint of extract taste. I am looking forward to the control and creativity AG brewing affords, but I think I'll try an extract batch with my new toys and see what differences they make!

In my opinion that will make a huge difference in your beer. Your beers will generally finish faster and be better attenuated. The next step is fermentation temp control if you don't already have it.

Back