Under The Surface: Results From The Self-Perceived Tasting Abilities Survey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
As brewers with a passion for high quality beer, we tend to invest quite a bit of time and energy in the advancement of our palates. Being fascinated by both beer and the human condition, I began to wonder to what degree our beliefs about our tasting abilitites were influenced by something other than reality, so I sent out a survey asking brewers to rate themselves on a number of scales. The results are available now, check it out!

http://brulosophy.com/2016/04/14/un...m-the-homebrewers-perceived-abilities-survey/

Wow another great exbeeriment. I know my palate is terrible, my rating of beers is good, bad, terrible, bitter/hoppy, sweet, fruity, creamy. However my GF has a terrific palate and doesn't know anything about typical off flavors. "that beer I had tasted like butter... " Oh you mean diacetyl. "it tastes like sour apples" . I don't pick up any of those flavors, she's always my official taste tester because I can't taste the minute(sp?) off flavors.

What tasted not as good as I remember at 9:00 AM all of a sudden tastes great at noon and then just OK in the evening. OR just reverse all of that sometimes. Who the heck am I to tell anyone what something tastes like.

Anyone else willing to admit even one's own taste is quite variable?

Dee_Lynn

What tasted not as good as I remember at 9:00 AM all of a sudden tastes great at noon and then just OK in the evening. OR just reverse all of that sometimes. Who the heck am I to tell anyone what something tastes like.

Anyone else willing to admit even one's own taste is quite variable.

Dee_Lynn

Yup. And if you add food to the equation, all the prior judgments are out the window.

I'm in the camp that your readers aren't full of themselves and giving you impossible data. You only surveyed the portion of the population that cares a lot about beer and spends tons of time training themselves to taste beer, while also failing to give them context for their responses.

Latest posts

Back