Under-Fermented

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCityBrew

Reaction score
So my first all-grain brew is sitting in bottles right now. It's been 12 days since bottling. I have been trying them one bottle at a time (after 24 hours of refrigeration) over the last 5 days. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly they carbonated.

I made the realization that they probably carbed quickly because I think fermentation may have been just shy of completion. I had an OG of 1.069, and BeerSmith says FG should have been 1.016, but I ended up with 1.022. I took FG after I had already filled all my bottles and did not think anything of it. I had issues with my yeast in the beginning of fermentation so I stupidly brushed it off as bad yeast, when now I am thinking it needed more time in fermenter.

The few I have tried have been good, and well-carbed, but something seems a bit off. Maybe a bit yeasty, and tastes a bit like unfermented wort. My plan is to cold store the bottles and give them plenty of time in the cold to hopefully settle and for flavors to meld better. Any opinions?

If you had measured 1.022 for 2 or 3 days straight it was done, if it was a single reading then you don't really know. F.G.s are targets, not all beers finish dead on. If the beers are well carbed but not excessively carb'd you are likely OK.

I think the off tastes are likely just from the beer being green and needing more time to condition. Try refrigerating 1 or 2 for at least 5 days before drinking. It will help the yeasties drop out of the beer.

Latest posts

Back