Under-attenuated? Re-yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foam_top

Reaction score
My latest porter had an OG close to 1.072 and it's sitting at a steady 1.030. The recipe called for Danstar Windsor which is medium attenuating but that still seems high for a FG. I don't want bottle bombs and I don't want sickly sweet, syrupy beer. Should I toss in some US-05 or should I let it be? I should note that I already tried getting the yeast back in suspension but it did not take.

-I use a hydrometer
-I pitched an 11 gram packet of Danstar Windsor
-The yeast was rehydrated
-5 gallon batch
-10 days since pitching
-Ambient temps have ranged from 65F to 71F
-Extract recipe
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/BourbonBarrelPorter.pdf

Ferm temps got above yeast recommended range. I've read Windsor is a fussy yeast and I think it stalled out when I moved the vessel. Just to be clear, I don't blame the yeast, I blame myself. The brewer should prepare optimal fermentation conditions ahead of time. But this is the reality of the situation and I'm wondering if I should leave it as is or pitch more yeast.

Thanks in advance.

Are you measuring SG with a hydrometer or refractometer? A refractometer will not give you an accurate reading after fermentation has begun.

How much yeast did you pitch? Rehydrated? How long has the beer been in the primary and at what temperature? How does it taste?

Was this an all grain recipe. Could your mash temperature have been higher than what you were trying for?

I would check the SG again in five days whether or not this was an all grain or extract recipe.

With 2# of dark grains, and this being an extract batch that fg is not surprising... I've had issues with high fg when brewing porters (even all grain) because there are so many unfermentables in the grain bill. You could add some us05 and maybe get it to drop a few more points, it shouldn't really hurt anything... did you taste it? Is it too cloyingly sweet? Sometimes the sharpness of the roast grains can help to balance the residual sweetness in that style...

I tasted it today along with another hydro reading. Still at 1.030 but I thought it tasted pretty good. I went ahead and added the oak which I postponed last time since I wasn't sure. I just hope I don't end up with bottle bombs. I'll make sure that it's contained just in case but... still... wasted beer!

Latest posts

Back