under aeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaKettle

Reaction score
So, first solo AG batch is a DFH 90 clone(ambitious I know), I shot for 10 gallons ended up with 13 (someone bumped the valve while fly sparging, obviously I wasn't paying attention). Shooting for 1.085, hit 1.082 surprisingly. Did a 1600ml starter with 2 vials of wlp007 without adding any nutrient. Unfortunately, other than pumping the wort through a fine mesh screen and some sloshing I forgot to oxygenate, drunk ;). I got almost immediate active fermentation and it's still going strong 3 days later.

So my question is, what kind of issues might I be running into and what, if anything, can I do about it now.

You should be alright, and hopefully you'll remember to aerate next time and see the difference! Your FG may be a little high or you might need a bit more conditioning time. Check carefully for diacetyl- like all British yeasts WLP007 is a heavy flocculator and may drop out early or throw diacetyl if not oxygenated enough. If that does happen, you'll need to add some fermenting beer (like a clean ale yeast starter at high krausen) to clean it up before packaging- it won't age out.

Back