Unconventional brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watreiler

Reaction score
Hi, I’m located in an area that doesn’t support home brewing, but I’m still trying my best with what ingredients I have available. Background, I’ve recently brewed an extract style beer by steeping organic cereal, albeit with barley during the temperature ramp up phase for about 20 minutes. After boil I the added equal parts date syrup and tamarind syrup. I was able to get my hands on some simcoe and chinook hopps during and added them throughout the boil, similar mass to an ipa. After cooling the wort I decreased temp as quickly as possible and added bakers yeast (I know, I know, but I don’t have brew yeast here) once the wort had cooled. Fermentation started within 12 hours. I let the wort sit for 1 week and then racked it and let it ferment for another. One thing was noticeable here, the wort was not clearing. I thought this might be due to the bakers yeast used for fermentation. Despite racking again the wort is still cloudy and so I decided to bottle after 3 weeks of fermentation. I haven’t tasted it so. It sure about that, but can anyone tell me why it might be still be cloudy? Maybe incomplete starch conversion during boil? What other types of syrups or malts found in grocery could be used for a good tasting ipa?

The cloudiness points to the use of baker's yeast, But could be due to other things as well, such as suspended proteins, starches, and dextrins.

With what kind of barley did you steep the cereal?
You'd need to use a good percentage of diastatic grain (malt) because it contains enzymes to convert starches (e.g., cereal) to sugars.
You could malt your own grain, such as barley.

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-2

But proceed very cautiously when you're living in one of those regions...

Latest posts

Back