Unbalanced water profile with Brun water excel tool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoffrey006

Reaction score
Hi !

I've just filled the water report input with the values given from my town.
I've checked several times and I'm sure that these are correct.
However Brun water tool is saying that it's unbalanced.

Any clues ?

Also how would you treat a water with such a high amount of sodium and chloride ? (I think the other values are ok ?)

upload_2019-2-17_17-4-57.png

Thanks !

The program is confirming that either some of the ion concentrations are not reported accurately or that your interpretation and input of those levels are incorrect.

Its not that you can't still use the program. Its that one or more of those levels ARE incorrect and it might affect your decisions on how to amend your water for brewing. Any program that does not perform this simple test is seriously flawed. At least you now know that there is a problem and you're working to figure it out.

The program is confirming that either some of the ion concentrations are not reported accurately or that your interpretation and input of those levels are incorrect.

Its not that you can't still use the program. Its that one or more of those levels ARE incorrect and it might affect your decisions on how to amend your water for brewing. Any program that does not perform this simple test is seriously flawed. At least you now know that there is a problem and you're working to figure it out.

Could you point me in the direction of what could be wrong ?
I've very limited knowledge in water chemistry and don't know how I could figure it out myself. As I told I've checked several times the values given by the city.
I've also tried with a previous report from months before, the values are similar and still giving unbalanced. All the values I read are in mg/L.

edit: I've tried reducing the Chloride value of only 10mg/L and it's not giving me anymore the unbalanced text. However that's not the value given by my city...what's happening then ?

Thank you

Last edited:
Many communities tap into more than one water source, and then merely report an average of the analyticals between the two (or more) sources. This leads to impossible water from an ionic charge balance standpoint. Only reasonably well cation/anion balanced water can be potentially real. I recommend that you call your regions water authority and ask them for an explanation.

Many communities tap into more than one water source, and then merely report an average of the analyticals between the two (or more) sources. This leads to impossible water from an ionic charge balance standpoint. Only reasonably well cation/anion balanced water can be potentially real. I recommend that you call your regions water authority and ask them for an explanation.

In my area, OCWA (my water conpany) reports a value and then notes that 90% of the source is from Lake Ontario and 10% from Lake Otisco.

Hi !

I've just filled the water report input with the values given from my town.
I've checked several times and I'm sure that these are correct.
However Brun water tool is saying that it's unbalanced.

Any clues ?

Also how would you treat a water with such a high amount of sodium and chloride ? (I think the other values are ok ?)

View attachment 613091

Thanks !
mind posting the water report? That sodium content looks super high for water that is supposed to be acceptable for drinking.

Latest posts

Back