Ultra-low pressure a problem for bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borden

Reaction score
So there's a storm blowing into the Midwest tomorrow that apparently could drop the barometric pressure to the lowest level ever recorded (at least here in Minnesota). I've heard of people having bottle bombs when big low pressure systems blow in, though I assume those bottles were also overcarbed. Is this something worth worrying about? I've got a few cases of things bottle conditioning in my basement and closet. I added too much priming sugar to one batch, which brought it up to around 3.2 volumes of CO2. It's been fine so far, but I don't want nasty surprises!

For science nerds, the NWS is estimating a pressure around 28.35" -- right now it's 29.10".

To give you an idea of the differential pressure, 28.35"mg is roughly 13.92psi and 29.10 is 14.29psi. So roughly the pressure difference will be .40psi. If the pressure went from 31.00"hg (15.32psi) you might have an issue. I think you will be ok.

It's probably too late, but if you're really worried, you could just put them in the fridge. There'll be less pressure in the bottle when they're cold.

Latest posts

Back