Ukrainian Brewery shares all - Brew For Ukraine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This Ukranian craft beer brewery, Pravda Brewing, cannot brew now, so they shared their recipes and encourage world breweries to brew their beers and donate profits. This site has a link to their recipes.

https://www.pravda.beer/en/victory-beer-series-from-lviv-ukraine/
1646587493283.png

This Ukranian craft beer brewery, Pravda Brewing, cannot brew now, so they shared their recipes and encourage world breweries to brew their beers and donate profits. This site has a link to their recipes.

https://www.pravda.beer/en/victory-beer-series-from-lviv-ukraine/
View attachment 761824

My paternal grandparents emigrated from the Russian speaking region of Galicia in (what was then part of) "the" Ukraine, arriving at Ellis Island around 1908 IIRC. Eastern Catholic, Russian spreaking peasants fleeing dictatorial despots, war and poverty. Looking for a better life for their family and their progeny. I wonder what they'd think if they could see their decendents today?

Anyway, as a small measure of tribute, here's a BeerSmith adaptation of "Putin Dry Hopped Golden Ale" from the recipe list. I call mine "Vlad the Impaler (aka: Putin Bugger Off)". It looks to be true to the original, but the only question for me is the conversion of coriander from Kg to ounces. It's roughly 7 ounces which seems like a lot. *** (edit: corrected to 0.25 oz in recipe) ***

Otherwise everything fits the BJCP style for Belgian Golden Strong Ale (25C). Here 'ya go:

13# Weyermann Pilsner
0.5# wheat malt
0.5# Caramunich I

.25 oz. Hallertau Magnum :60 min.
1 oz. Perle :20 min.
0.25# dextrose :10 min. boil
1 oz. Perle, WP :20 mins @ 170°F

*** 0.25 oz. Coriander seed WP :20 mins @ 170°F***

Mash as per the recipe, :90 min. boil, Ale ferment profile with S-05. The numbers work out to within a percent or two of the original recipe for my brewing equipment (7.7 gal. boil/6.3 gal batch into the fermenter), and efficiency numbers for a 17.5°P/1.070 OG wort, 8.3%, 27 IBU beer. Can't wait to brew this one.

Remember the brave people of Ukraine. 🇺🇦

Last edited:
the only question for me is the conversion of coriander from Kg to ounces. It's roughly 7 ounces which seems like a lot.
Yeah, something big got lost in translation, or misinterpreted, which is sort of the same.

For comparison, I use 7 gram (~1/4 oz) of freshly crushed Coriander seeds in 5 gallons of Witbier.
One judge made a comment about the Coriander being very upfront, but he didn't ding me for it. And I won that year.

My paternal grandparents emigrated from the Russian speaking region of Galicia in (what was then part of) "the" Ukraine, arriving at Ellis Island around 1908 IIRC. Eastern Catholic, Russian spreaking peasants fleeing dictatorial despots, war and poverty. Looking for a better life for their family and their progeny. I wonder what they'd think if they could see their decendents today?

Anyway, as a small measure of tribute, here's a BeerSmith adaptation of "Putin Dry Hopped Golden Ale" from the recipe list. I call mine "Vlad the Impaler (aka: Putin Bugger Off)". It looks to be true to the original, but the only question for me is the conversion of coriander from Kg to ounces. It's roughly 7 ounces which seems like a lot. Otherwise everything fits the BJCP style for Belgian Golden Strong Ale (25C). Here 'ya go:

13# Weyermann Pilsner
0.5# wheat malt
0.5# Caramunich I

.25 oz. Hallertau Magnum :60 min.
1 oz. Perle :20 min.
0.25# dextrose :10 min. boil
1 oz. Perle, WP :20 mins @ 170°F
7 oz. Coriander seed :20 mins @ 170°F

Mash as per the recipe, :90 min. boil, Ale ferment profile with S-05. The numbers work out to within a percent or two of the original recipe for my brewing equipment (7.7 gal. boil/6.3 gal batch into the fermenter), and efficiency numbers for a 17.5°P/1.070 OG wort, 8.3%, 27 IBU beer. Can't wait to brew this one.

Remember the brave people of Ukraine. 🇺🇦
The posted recipe calls for 200g (~7 oz) in 22.5 hectoliters (594.4 gal.) This works out to 0.336 g/gal or 1.85 g in a 5.5 gal batch.

Brew on :mug:

Yeah, something big got lost in translation, or misinterpreted, which is sort of the same.

For comparison, I use 7 gram (~1/4 oz) of freshly crushed Coriander seeds in 5 gallons of Witbier.
One judge made a comment about the Coriander being very upfront, but he didn't ding me for it. And I won that year.
Agree. I did the conversion 3 times from kg to ounces, and it appears my intuition was correct. By two orders of magnitude!

Two thoughts came to mind about the recipe: using Belgian Light Candi syrup 1:1 for dextrose, and maybe adding some orange peel along with the coriander in the :20 min. WP steep. That would sure make it more close to a Belgian or Trappist style, but it's unclear if that's what the Ukrainian brewers were trying to emulate. This recipe holds truer to the original, so I went with that.

The recipe showed "Kg" when clearly it should have been "grams". That converts to 0.25 oz., which makes much more sense. :thumbsup:

The recipe showed "Kg" when clearly it should have been "grams". That converts to 0.25 oz., which makes much more sense. :thumbsup:
What @doug293cz said in #6 makes even more sense. He went back to the original recipe and converted from 22.5 hl to 5.5 gallons.
You're not brewing Witbier, I just gave it as a reference where a decent load of coriander is commonly used, outside of Indian food cuisine. ;)

You appear to have missed a decimal point. It says 0.20 kg, or 200 g.

View attachment 763912

Brew on :mug:
I'd blame the IIPA, or even my new pair of glasses. But sooner or later, after 72 years of making S.A.M.s, you just have to say "mea culpa" and admit you just skrooed the pooch. My bad :rolleyes:.

Status update on my "Slava Ukraini" brew session.

The Ukrainian Putin Dry-Hopped Strong Golden Ale got brewed on Monday. It was a very busy day, which all told, ended up taking just under 10 hours, soup to nuts. I had to rearrange a number of "projects" currently happening in the brew area to make room for the new arrival, plus an unexpected deep cleaning of the fermenter I'm using for Putin that apparently wasn't cleaned adequately before storing at the end of last brewing season. Throw in a 10 minute follow-up doctor appointment on the other side of town in the middle of the day...well, you get the idea. But in the end, everything turned out well. O.G. came in at 1.077 (predicted: 1.076), very clear wort into the nearly full 7 gallon fermenter, Lutra yeast chomping away at all those tasty sugars. I think this one will be a winner.

One can only hope that Pravda Brewing and the brave people of Lviv, Ukraine, will overcome the cruel fate that has befallen them, and once again flourish as the proud and independent nation they have shown the world they truly are.

"Slava Ukraini" ("Glory to Ukraine")

Latest posts

Back