Uh-Oh: HUGE head during Primary Fermentation in a 6 Gallon GlassCarboy w/ 5 Gal Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katelynn79

Reaction score
Hello!

Just brewed our first batch yesterday, and under the advice of a friend opted to do both the 1st and 2nd fermentations in the glass carboy....HOWEVER... this morning our beer has COME ALIVE. The head of our Northern IPA is already 3" tall, and because I've read some horror stories about explosions and beer on ceilings I'm wondering if I should do any of the following:

1) transfer the primary fermentation to the 7 gallon bucket we have and put the lid on it.

2) remove the airlock to let some of the gasses escape.

3) leave everything as is, put a trash bag over the top of said operation and pray for the best.

Picture is attached. Thanks for your help!

Kate
Nova Scotia, Canada

IMG_3527.JPG

Thank you! I had some food grade tubing that came with my kit. Assembled it in 5 minutes with the help of this youtube video from Epic Beer Dude!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiaJ6rQjSUU[/ame]

Make sure you are controlling the fermentation temperature. Hot fermentations will produce substantial krausen quickly. Keep the blow off tube handy for future fermentations.

Latest posts

Back